Why is is most people seem to think that the guy is supposed to be the only one doing the asking?

So this is something my friend did that kinda pissed my off. For about two months now she's been talking about this new guy who came to the school. Zombie Prom is coming up and she mentioned so much how she'd love to go with him. I suggested that she go ask him, but she says no it's the guy's job to asked the girl. So she waits three days from when I suggested it until it was to late. She comes up to me teary eyed saying another girl asked him and he said yes. I was feeling a bit sympathetic until she started calling the other girl a bitch and a man-stealer. At the point I had to be honest with her and say it's her fault and not the girl's. She had many chances to try, but never once took any. I know that's a bit harsh, but I couldn't stand the fact she was disrespecting someone else just because they did something she couldn't do herself. But I really curious where this crap about it being the guy's job comes from.

Most Helpful Girl

• Because the media has always portrayed that image in our heads it's just a stereotype don't listen to it. I've never dated anyone but I have common sense, and if it's clear you both like each other and you as the guy are too scared to say anything and the girl has more balls to do it than you and you both say yes who gives a left cheek who asked? at the end of the day you two are both happy it doesn't make one more desperate or whatever bullshit society or your friends say. its YOUR life YOUR relationship NOT theirs.

What Girls Said 6

• Simply the way she was raised as far as what to expect from a man and how things work relationship wise between man and woman.

Some people are simply more up with the modernized way of doing things. You cannot really blame her for wanting it to traditional like her mother or father explained it to her - or like the movies always show...
    It is more romantic when a guy asks a girl...

• I don't really blame her for being traditional. I'm just really annoyed that she's disrespecting a girl she never knew all because she asked a guy out.

• Yeah. That doesn't show much class on her end. But hey, girls will be girls...

• Maybe it is my lack of feminism but I see nothing wrong with wanting the guy to ask the girl. I do see a problem with her bitching about the other girl who just decided to do it herself. On the other hand I don't see anything wrong with girls asking... I guess I just find it more romantic and proper (call me old fashioned) I have asked boys out before so I don't know... I contradict myself a lot. haha

• I don't know how the other girls think... but...
    If I like a guy I don't ask him , because I'm too shy or just because I'm not interested in having anything with anyone.
    But, again , in my case it's mostly because I become really , really shy when I like a guy.
    So, in fact, girls should approach the guys too.
    It's better to choose than be chosen.

• I have no idea, I think it's crap. I have made the first move a couple of times.

• how come you didn't ask her out?

• Because she is only a friend. I'm not interest in her like that. Also I hate prom and other social events.

• i don't know, i don't follow that rule

What Guys Said 3

• It's a good thing the guy didn't ask her because if she can't even ask a guy out, chances are she won't have anything to offer in an actual relationship anyway. So it's very good that she's staying single. She deserves it and I have no sympathy for girls like that. It's perfectly ok for a guy to ask a girl out just like it's ok for a girl to ask a guy out.

This girl's true colors are also showing with the way she's acting out and trying to make the other girl look bad for doing something she could not. Picture how bad of a picture she'd paint of this guy she was interested if he had a disagreement with her in a relationship. Everything would be "his fault" even when he is right.

• The only reason is that girls just want to sit around without batting and eyelid and raising a finger, and have dates/relationships served to them on a platter. They're either too lazy to do the asking, or are too scared of rejection. Yet they have the audacity to advice guys to 'suck it up and handle rejection'. Hypocrisy of the highest order.

Due to the changes in gender roles, women today can do almost everything which were once considers men's domain. But when it comes to making the first move, they want to stick to the old, outdated 17th century tradition that says 'The man should always make the first move'.

• Just how we were raised, chivalry and what not.