How long can you talk to your significant other? Do you get lost in time with them? Is it easy?

I feel like these are important parts to a relationship, but I'm curious to hear what other people think. If you had to talk to your bf/gf all day, could you? Would you? How in love are you? What about when you just first started dating? Was it easy to talk?

Most Helpful Guy

• Reading about all of you amazing couples out there that can talk for hours on end and here I am having a girlfriend that I can't even last talking to for 5 minutes lol. When we first met we were two very socially awkward teens. We could barely talk to each other but for some reason that neither of us could explain we were just so incredibly attracted to one another. After a month of some of THE most uncomfortable attempts at flirting any other pair of nerds could ever have tried, we began our relationship and at a little over 11 months later we're hardly any different haha.

Not that we don't love talking to one another, I hang off every word she speaks, but we're just incredibly boring people and have nothing to talk about. Literally all she does is go to school, go to church on Sundays, and watch anime almost every waking moment of her life when not at the other two places mentioned. I have a bit more of an interesting life but for the most part all my life is college and the occasional cool thing that I can talk about for a few minutes. All our time spent together is just us watching anime, YouTube videos, or GSN (the game show network). May not sound that eventful on its own, but any mundane activity spent together is a pretty fun one!

I CANNOT talk to her face to face. It may sound sappy, but I honestly still get nervous talking to her while gazing at her gorgeous face. After a while I put my shirt over my lips to cover myself for whatever reason I do lol. Thankfully most of the time when she's at my house she's sitting on my lap or next to me which makes talking to her much easier. If we're just sitting there in an awkward silence for a sustained period of time and have absolutely nothing to discuss or do I'll pick her up, lay her on my floor, and get very PG-13 xD.

So yes, that's my relationship in a nutshell. Two introverts fell in love and have made it almost a year together with minimal verbal communication. c:

• Wow, that's pretty intense! I think that gives me hope? Maybe?

• Yup. I think being able to talk to someone for hours on end is pretty nice, but in a relationship as long as two people love each other and value their time together they don't have to chat 24/7.

• Good point. I should stop talking to him so much then.

What Guys Said 2

• yes, we could talk all day, but definitely value being silent together as well.

• Huh, so if he's not asking questions... and not replying very much... should I take that as he's not interested or just in for a hookup... or maybe he was interested and now isn't? Or maybe he's shy?

• yeah, that wasn't worded well, sorry. xD but, the below opinion is a good comparison of how different relationships/people can be. ( and hopefully happy) we are both very introverted/shy as well, and don't easily engaged in conversation with people we don't know, BUT we can talk about anything, often very animatedly, as long as we like. we're interested in everything about each other and share opinions about stuff we hear/see. we both are very introspective, quiet people, but we communicate freely. overall, I wouldn't date someone I couldn't talk to easily or wasn't interested in what I wanted to say.

• Yeah, I agree with you. I can't tell if he just hasn't opened up to me... or if he's quiet... or if he's just not interested and won't say it.

• Well, I don;t have one but the one person I would like to be yes, hours and hours pass by in minutes.

• Yeah, I think that's the way it should be too.

What Girls Said 8

• I could talk to him all day, yes. Whether he could talk to me is another question. I have a tendency to say things that make him want to bang his head on a wall hahahaha.

When we first started out together we'd literally talk all night. I'd call him at 10 pm and we'd talk until 5 am. Then he'd get up at 6 for swim practice and I'd get up at 7 for band. He'd swim until 10 and then sleep and I'd be at band from 8 am - 10 pm when I'd call him again and the cycle would repeat itself.

Now we value our sleep lol

• Yeah, see, I think that's the way it's supposed to be... I'm dating someone right now and I struggle with having anything to talk about. I'm wondering if I should call it off or if I should give it more time?

• Perhaps. I'm also super introverted. But I mean, I met my boyfriend on vacation. I had 2 straight weeks of essentially being forced to talk to only him haha. You'd be surprised how well you get to know each other when you two are the only ones your age in a resort full of middle aged to super elderly people haha

• hahaha oh... yeah, that makes sense!

• We could easily talk through the entire day easily. I would happily do that, as not only does it give me more time spent with him, but our conversations are always either very interesting or hilarious to the point that we're both in tears.

Communication between the two of us was great from back when we first started dating, where our first date was lunch at a coffee shop where we just chatted for hours with no awkward silences or loss of topics for conversation. Open lines of communication between us is probably the last thing I could complain about that may be lacking.

• Hm yeah. This guy and I could talk really easily on the first two dates... but once we went on a "real" big date... nothing... just nothing. We really struggled. Now I'm debating whether or not I should break up with him.

• Don't be as eager with or initiate as many kisses. Try to make sex a seldom occurrence. You know what they say- why buy the cow if you can get the milk for free! :P

Yea taking things slow and approaching it as just friendly for a while will be a good way to no longer get hurt by guys. Let them get to know you as a person for first, as otherwise it's very easy to get bored of a person after you've enjoyed their physical 'assets' a few times. I know it'll be hard, but it sounds like you've got a bad habit to break so it'll be worth it in the end.

• Yeah... no fun. He actually came over last night and we had a great chat. He was really nice. Ah, so confusing. We didn't have sex, but we did other stuff. Afterwards he was like, wow, I just expected to come hang out and sleep. lol. Guess we got a bit carried away... he's leaving for a trip today so I won't see him til next week. Maybe some space will be good.

• I would! I would love it. There are times when we're home alone and we just cook and talk and watch movies together and do nothing important and I swear these are the best moments.

• And it's easy, right? Was it that easy when you first started dating?

• ohh... okay interesting. I feel like I'm trying to get to the deeper stuff and he's avoiding it.

• Maybe he just feels awkward about it right now.

• Many hours in person but no more than 15 minutes on the phone. I really don't like phone calls. When we're together sometimes there are long periods when it's just a contented silence. Those are just important as the talking parts.

• Yeah, how do you know if it's a contented silence or if it's awkward silence and there is nothing to be said?

• For me it's just a feeling. You feel comfortable not saying anything and sometimes we'll give each other glances or just give little touches, like on the small of the back.

• Yeah, I feel comfortable with the silence, but at the same time.. I don't know if he does... and then sometimes I want to talk but I have no idea what to say... and then I say something and get very little response.

• Our first date, we ended up spending 8 hours together talking and laughing. Its only gotten better from there. We spend a few days together at a time and I never get bored of his company.

That being said, I don't do phone calls. I dislike it.

• Wow. That's awesome. I feel like I'm already getting bored of this guy's company...

• Yeah, very true. Maybe I'm a little premature in my decision making. We'll see... I'll keep you posted. I may not see him til next week (which might help lol).

• All the best!

• I've been with my partner for years now and several to come. When were together we can talk for hours non-stop. Yet, I have to admit when we were first dating I was hardly able to even keep a conversation for 10 minutes.

• Ah, see, maybe there's hope for me? I've run out of things to say to this guy I am dating... I'm wondering if I should call the whole thing off.

• Well take this for example... I remember the first date my boyfriend and I had. We went out to dinner just the two of us. All throughout dinner we had nothing to talk about... I was just playing with my food plate and he was on his phone. When he dropped me off we said bye to each other. I honestly thought that was the end of that, but you know what... 8 years almost 9 we are still together. So trust me the awkwardness is more than normal. :)

• Alright... so maybe I shouldn't call it a quits yet. I got myself all prepped for the break up speech and now it isn't happening, ha. Wow, that does give me a lot of hope.

• We usually didn't talk, we communicated through body language and facial expressions.

• interesting ha. how did you get to know each other?

• On phone 30 min max. In person hours

• Hm. Yeah, see, I completely agree. I'm dating someone... and he either feels smothered by my presence or... we just don't have anything to talk about. There's a lot of silence between us. Maybe I should end it...

• The right guy would feel smothered and there wouldn't be awkward silence.
      Not going to tell you what to do. But if it was me I would. We aren't getting any younger you know! No time to waste