What's your opinion on long distance relationships?

Have you ever had one? Did it work out for you?

Most Helpful Guy

• I'm going to give a more optimistic answer here than the others I'm reading...

The long distance relationships that I've seen work actually work really really well!

I know a couple who started off long distance while still in high school. They lived thousands of miles away and met at a summer camp. They were long distance for 2-3 years. Even when they went away to college, they were still long distance for a while, although they eventually ended up transferring to be in the same college. They've been together ever since. It's been years now, and they're the closest cutest couple you've ever met. They are now married.

Of course, long distance relationships require a lot of patience and can be emotionally straining after a while!

And most don't work, which is why all the other responses are negative. However, most regular relationships don't work either. It's just that most people don't care that their regular relationships don't work, because regular relationships are relatively easy and enjoyable for a lot of people even when they eventually end in a break up. The long distance relationship is going to feel harder to begin with... and for a lot of people, hard is not good.

If you are one of those people who only lives in the moment, then a long distance relationship is probably not for you.

However, from my personal experience, there are definitely good reasons to consider long distance relationships, one being that it opens you up to a wider selection of people to date, which increases the chances of finding someone who is truly compatible with you.

If you're one of those people who believes in soul mates, consider that they could live anywhere on the planet. Who knows when and where you'll met them if you ever do, but if you limit yourself to only dating people who are living in the same place as you, then your chances of ever getting to ever be with your soulmate goes down quite a bit.

What Guys Said 6

• It all depend upon the players...
    "There can be two people sitting across the room and never find each other. There can be two more on opposite ends of the earth and nothing could keep them apart."

• If you consider a long distance relationship where you can only meet in the weekends then yes it works out (atleast for me), but if you mean like flying to a different state then I have no idea.

• I think long distance relationships are hard. It depends a lot on how long the couple has been together, how long are they going to be separated, what kind of environment is each of them in, and of course the couple's personal commitment level to the relationship?

I never tried one before, but my girl once asked me if I'd ever do overseas studies. From the way she said it, it seems like she would understand and try her best at a LDR if it ever happened. And if I have her trust and promise to be committed to me, and also with regular skyping or whatever, I think it'd work out.

• There are hundreds of factors that come into play here. It really depends on the couple. your relationship has to be strong prior to the long distance.

• They can work but why settle?

• They can't work and are a waste of everyones time.

What Girls Said 4

• They're not enjoyable. I'm in one. Lots of factors go into it.

My boyfriend and I had nearly 3 years of a relationship under our belt before we transitioned to long distance. We also have an end date in sight: May 14, 2015. We started long distance in August. We're apart for school purposes.

If we were going to be apart longer than the months of the school year (breaks for Thanksgiving/Christmas and 1 visit per semester) we probably would not have chosen to stay together.

So far it's working. It's still really hard. I just returned from the visit for this semester and being apart after having spent 4 days together is kicking our butts. So much that he's already planning a second visit for this semester before Thanksgiving :p

You have to really know the person and know they're worth it before entering into a long distance relationship. 'Cause they suck. So the person has to be worth sucking for.

• I've never had one but I know people who have been or are currently in one. I believe they can work as long as both people put in effort

• impossible.

• They're stupid and they suck