If you tell a guy you'll never talk to him again (for whatever reason) and he reacts and is scared about it what does that mean?

I've been on and off with my ex and I told him I'd never talk to him again if walked out on the relationship this time. he got scared and told me please don't say that and I know you don't mean that. does that mean he is willing to compromise about what I want from the relationship (to make it official for one thing, at least close)? why would he care about never talking to me again if he didn't see a future with me?

• he likes you enough to compromise, he doesn't want to lose you
  • he may not want you to never talk to him again, but it's still unclear as to why
we're supposed to talk again about how to fix things, but I hope this means he doesn't want to lose me?
I'm confused :(

What Guys Said 1

• it means your power play worked

• I didn't mean for it to be like that... I'm supposed to call him for us to talk again, I'm not trying to manipulate him into a relationship. what can I say that will chill him out?

What Girls Said 1

• When is enough, actually enough? Don't ruin your happiness over this. Eventually someone has to give, you guys need to have a serious talk and if he doesn't put in the effort, leave and never look back.