Do Girls Secretly Like Muscular Guys?

Ok, I know this is a question that's been asked a lot, but please humor me.

I know that everyone likes a fit body, but what I'm curious about is how a lot of girls seem to say one thing then do another when it comes to muscular guys. In other words, they say they don't really like guys who are all that muscular, but then they fawn over built guys.

I just went through a process of losing over 80 pounds last year, and now I'm trying to get my body into better shape for dating and to feel better about myself. I've heard girls say that they don't really like muscular guys, but there's a guy at my college who is really built and lean and every girl seems to at least have a crush on him.

So it seems like girls say one thing and prefer another when it comes to muscular guys. I almost feel like girls tell guys not to get muscular because they believe guys become players when they get built. I don't want to become a player, but I do envy the attention that those guys seem to get from girls.

So to the girls, which is it? Do you secretly prefer really built guys but don't want to admit it, or do you honestly not care? Please be honest.

Most Helpful Girl

• We do think it's hot. It's not much of a secret. Those who say they don't is for 2 reasons:

1) they actually do prefer slimmer, or are worried that by "muscular" a man will become body-builder looking. That's not attractive to most women to get that big.

2) You're right. They're worried he'll be a player.

• "We do think it's hot. It's not much of a secret."

If it's not a secret, then why do so many girls proclaim that they don't like muscular guys? I don't know why they can't just be honest about it. Maybe it because they think it'll make them seem superficial?

Thanks for your answer.

• Time and consistency. Good looking guys lose it by pursuing half-assed, or only inviting her over for "movies" etc. Things that seem sexual in nature. Continuously showing physical attraction of course, but also interest in her as a person and getting to know her will get her to let her guard down.

In public as a general rule? Don't be that guy talking down about women, or bragging about hooking up. Ever. Girl hears you bragging and its over.

• I feel like showing attraction is really important, but I struggle with that from being undesirable for so long. Girls like when guys crush on them, but only if they consider the guy hot. I try so hard not to seem creepy that I either don't show my attraction or I come off as creepy lol. No one at my college really goes on actual "date" dates, so I feel like girls would think being asked out for dinner or something might seem weirdly old fashioned.

What Girls Said 23

• This is about as muscular as I like my guys:

newnownext.mtvnimages.com/.../...e-host-9c0d21.jpg

Or this muscular max:

s-media-cache-ec0.pinimg.com/.../...9b44761e4a.jpg

This muscular is too much and kinda off putting:

fc08.deviantart.net/.../..._stonepiler-d4148ie.jpg

It's about balance and proportions. But yes, I love an in shape man with good muscle definition.

• Tennis players, swimmers and soccer players have the best bodies in my opinion

• I don't see the difference between the second and the third, lol.

• @Mesonfielde

It's about proportion. The third guy seems more unproportional than the second. Like his biceps got too big for his body.

I actually prefer the body to the second guy when he's slimmer (he's more bulked up than usual in this pic because it's part of his prep for his role as captain america). When he's slimmer, he looks like a normal guy who stays in shape

• It honestly depends upon the woman.

I for one don't like super scrawny guys, but I also don't like super muscular dudes. I like a happy medium, just someone who keeps toned. I'm not really picky when it comes to guys though, because like woman, we all come in different shapes and sizes! :)

• It really doesn't matter to me. My favorite is slim guys, like a life guard body (I think it's because all my fitness are slim and I've always wanted to be slim, so it's like I'm trying I get my kids to be slim), but I also like guys who are muscular and go to the gym a lot. But preferably slim

• I like big guns and I cannot lie XD
    Nothing secret about that. My friends know it.

Just as long as he doesn't look like this power ranger toy I had with massive shoulders and a tiny head...

• Hahaha, I like the Power Ranger reference. I think some guys I see at the gym are trying to become Power Rangers judging by their look lol.

• We don't secretly like it. We like it.

• i love built men. i have no problem admitting it. a guy doesn't have to be built for me to like him tho

• I don't make it a secret

• Sure. Muscles probably means the guy is strong, strong means power and power is attractive. But in the end it's simply a part of a person. If the guy's an ass, then muscles aren't going to make him less of an ass.

• No. That is not my preference.

• I dated a super buff guy and he was so Damn sexy but I chose my super thin husband over him although it was a turn on it wasn't better than my husbands personality.

• I'm not the most outgoing person, which holds me back in dating. I'm very engaging once I know someone but not before then. I feel like being built would be a way to attract girls more without having to be super outgoing like most guys who are very successful with girls. Do you agree?

• A guy who has mucles its nice but when it too much to me its unattractive. Some where in the middle but not to big

• Fit guys are good muscles are good but huge bulky ones are not I do not like that i think it's disturbing honestly.

• Most girls do, not really a secret. But we sound shallow if we say it out loud. Biceps to me are what boobs are to guys

• It's a secret when girls deny their attraction explicitly then gawk at shirtless guys who are really built. But I understand about y'all not wanting to seem shallow. I think it's kinda lame that girls can't express physical attraction openly without inviting a label.

• It's no secret that I Iike muscular guys.

• Secretly? No I prefer muscles.

• I've read a lot about this online and asked some girls in my circle at college, and most of them say they don't really like muscular guys (by muscular I mean pretty big and lean, not a skinny guy with a six pack and small but defined arms.) Then they see a lean, big guy and they can't look away, so that's why I wrote "secretly" in the title. Many women don't seem like they're being totally honest about their preferences. I even had one female friend (who doesn't want to date me, btw) tell me that I should remain "normal" and not lift weights, and that I just wanted to get more muscular so that I could become a player. Thus the confusion on my part.

• Weird women lol

• Not all of us like that. Sounds like you're not 100% happy with you yet, so get to where you feel comfortable & confident. That's hot!

• No, not at all. Part of me wants to become the big, muscular badass that I think lots of young guys want to be, but the more rational part of me says that this is a silly goal that doesn't have anything to do with what girls really want in guys. I tend to agree with what a few posters have written, that balance is the key.

• And that's all i'm really trying to say... you'll have your options. When you're happy with you it will show. You don't have to be all swollen with muscles to be considered "hot". Hot is the total package & take a closer look at those guys... not all they are cracked up to be.

• Yeah, I know, I see a lot of attractive girls at my school with guys who aren't anything like what most guys would consider the ideal male body. Most of the guys are pretty skinny. My problem is that I'm not a comedian or class clown who can impress girls with "game," so I feel like I need to do something else to stand out.

Thanks for taking the time to answer.

• I love muscular guys. It's no secret.

• I don't like muscular guys

• No point in lying, guys who are fit are hot. BUT it's not that important. I'm currently dating a guy who's normal, slightly to the chubby side and I couldn't care less if he gained a couple of pounds or lost them. Because I like him a lot.
    And it's definitely not hot when they overdo their workouts so they are on the verge of looking like bodybuilders, I don't get that haha. But that's just me :)

• tbh, no i don't like extremely muscular guys they look gross (no offense big guys) but i just like it to be average it doesn't have to be overrrrr it turns disgusting when it is HUGE and actually extremely muscular guys scare the shit out of me so yes just a simple guy

• I have yet to meet a girl who says she doesn't like muscularity in a guy. There's tons of girls (myself included) who don't like guys who are super ripped, but I do like lean and muscular guys, just not to a really great extent. If you look like the hulk, you might be interesting to look at, but I don't find that very attractive. I would say I have pretty reasonable preferences. Abs are great, but don't do much for me, so I don't fawn over a guy who has a 6 pack (I don't fawn over anyone though lol.)
    So yeah, basically, most girls like fit guys, some girls don't like the hulk look, some do.

• I love muscular broad guys they are the bomb!

• I lust after muscular guys but when it comes to crushing or being attracted - muscular guys aren't any more attractive to me than non-muscular guys - they tend to be less attractive. Good for lusting after but not good for romance.

What Guys Said 7

• I will just share that I never really liked the look of muscles and the only reason why they are beneficial is so that you can move around more stuff, for which you can hire a moving company if you are so inclined. I am not going to start putting on extra muscle just because other people have a different preference from my own towards myself.

• not secretly, they like muscular guys and say it honestly but according to me they don't like muscular guys like body building athletes. they just want to see muscle on men's shoulders and stomach a bit. if im right, ladies can upvote my opinion :)

• it's not a secret , more like lean and muscular not bulky and muscular

• I don't know. My female friends always say that any girl would like my body for being so built and such, but then you get online and all you see girls do is say they'd rather have a barley toned guy than a muscular one. I'm always confused.

• um I dont think it's a secret bud

• You just realized that? LOL. All women are shallow.

• It's not a secret