Would you consider it picky for a woman to want a guy that has a college degree? Why or why not?

As in if a guy doesn't have a college degree, she wouldn't consider dating him.

Most Helpful Girl

• It's not picky, it's just her preference. I personally want a guy to have a college degree. I think it shows motivation to do well and it can also lead to better career opportunities. I have a college degree and definitely see the value in it for what I want to do. I'm also focused on getting to where I want to be with my career and I think I would have more in common with someone in a similar situation as me in terms of education and career.

• Having a degree does not mean the person is more educated. It means they are more credentialed.

• I never said they were more educated. I think you could say they have more of a formal education. I said they were in a similar situation as me in terms of education meaning we both generally had a similar path.

What Girls Said 11

• It wouldn't really matter to me as long as you're making enough to pay bills take me out to eat and still able to look nice

• Well a bachelors degree is basically the new high school diploma so I can understand why but it's not a criteria for me.

• not so much if she doesn't have one either, but if she has one and expects him to have one, that's fair because life is hell expensive and when choosing a life partner its fair to expect contribution of equal quantities. Money is a necessity for life. Having children means a family will have to live off one income for a period of time perhaps, mortgage car payments school, food, rent i could go on and on.

• No. She wants someone that is smart and has certifications. I don't think it's picky.

• Having a degree does not equal being smart. It equals being credentialed. The two are not the same.

• Yeah, yeah. I get it. Still, most people that have a degree are smart. Smart enough to GET a degree.

• nope not at all in reality a guy that has a college degree can look after you rather than a guy who skips class just saying i think its kind of rare that you well end up true love, happy life, get old, face the odd, none of that crap now that is an example of wrap that up and put it in a fiction box

• They wouldn't need to have a college degree, but they would need some sort of schooling after high school, even if its just some sort of trade.

• Hmmm. It's more like a basic criterion. I don't think it's picky.

• Sure but it is what it is. I don't want to date a guy without a degree because I have one.

• I wouldn't consider her picky just for that.

• I think it'd be picky if she only considered guys with a phd. But later on If I started thinking about serious relationships, id want someone with a college degree. Mostly because the chances of marriage ending in a divorce are lower for those who are more educated

• I wouldn't as i have a phd degree

What Guys Said 6

• Not picky, a sign of good sense. University graduates, on average, earn more, so are therefore better able to support a wife and children. A degree is also a demonstration of intelligence, which means the man is of above-average intelligence, so should sire intelligent children. That makes him better breeding stock, all other factors being equal.

• Depends what he does.

So many of the most successful innovators/movers and shakers of today's world dropped out of college.

Formal education is basically a lie/class distinction these days unless you're learning some REAL specialized skill to market yourself with, but I digress.

If he's employed and making decent money, why the hell does it matter how much "education" he has? I've met dudes who were farmers who seemed much "smarter" than people with PhDs.

• It's not picky if she also has a college degree

• How shallow?

• I guess she just prefers stability financially.

• I bet the women who were picky about a guy having a college would make a quick exception if the guy was Bill Gates or Michael Dell

• *having a college degree*

• ... and how many people like that are in the world? LOL. fuck exceptions. consider the rule itself.