Would you date someone your parents may not like?

I'm 29, female. I don't have trouble meeting guys, but as we all know, its hard to find someone you feel comfortable with, that makes you happy when you see them. I met this one guy through a friend recently. I'm always hesitant when I first start dating someone... but he's the only guy in the past 8 months of being single, that I actually want to keep seeing. Only thing is, I see my parents being upset about this. He's west Indian and I'm east Indian, which my parents will hate! And his dad works as a mechanic, which my parents would want a family with white collar jobs. I don't want to make my parents sad, but I don't like these criteria. All I care about is that he's a nice, reliable, genuine guy. What should I do?

Most Helpful Girl

• It depends. If they don't like him then it's probably for a good reason. I'm surprised by how shallow my parents are when it comes to guy's looks, education, and career. But it isn't without some kind of reasoning.

• @harakiri. No kidding. I'm not going to show my parents a picture of the gal I'm dating until after they meet her. Funny part is my mom tried to set me up with a gal that was on the same level look wise and in a different state.

• @AlwaysBelieving lmao. well, if she's on the same level, i guess your parents will be okay with it :)

• @harakiri. Long story short, no, I will no be going on this "set up."

What Guys Said 7

• Yeah, I wouldn't stop dating someone I cared about just because my parents didn't like them. Obviously it would be nice if they did but at the end of the day, its MY decision.

• My parents don't really have a say in the matter. They've never commented on it either.

• Yes, definitely.

I will simply not allow my parents to have any influence over my romantic life. I believe it's wrong. Hearing people break up for that reason makes me cringe.

• It's alright
    The only important thing is that you & you the guy are important

• Sure, I would.

• Yes I have. I've learned not to say certain things around them.

• That's actually a big problem for me.

• I don't even give it a chance. I just know they won't, and that will cause me to not pursue a good thing.

• But yes I would. My fear of daring someone they wouldn't like is something I am determined to overcome.

What Girls Said 7

• Date whoever you want unless his characters are questioned by your parents then I would advise to listen what they gotta say. Otherwise, I dont see why they should interfere. I know parents want their daughter to marry somoene who has stable income but I dont see it as a must. You can always earn your own income and as long as he hold a stable job that is good enough

• If my mom didn't like somebody she's onto something. I wouldn't let a family member make a final decision on something like this but I will say I'd have a very hard time dating someone my brothers didn't like.

• I have personally never introduced my parents to any of my boyfriends because I don't care about what they think about who i'm dating because he is not dating them he is dating you.

• I have before and I don't really care. I'll do what I want.

• Yes I would. Your parents already have each other, why be alone because they disapprove? Especially over something so facile as "they are West Indian."

• No I wouldn't.

• Yes, I would date because my parents don't care about me.
    You could try to find a way to make your parents see that he's a good person.