Girls: would you ever break up with your boyfriend through a text?

Or would you rather do it in person. It happened to me.

Most Helpful Girl

• Over text is a cowards way of dealing with breaking up with someone.
    I've only even been broken up with over text and I hated it because once they send the "I'm breaking up with you", they don't text back to my questions and I don't get any closure over why they did.

Personally, I've sent a text saying "I'm not happy in this relationship" to my current boyfriend over a year ago. He didn't reply back, he was outside my front door 20 minutes later and he said "I want this relationship to work, if you're not happy let's talk rather than breaking up through text"
    We are still together and I'm very happy with him :)
    Sorry if I rambled on.

What Girls Said 29

• I actually kind of did once but it was an extenuating circumstance. Short version: I really wanted to break up with my ex in person and had been planning on it for about a month, because he was so obsessive I decided I would do it right before leaving to see my family in California (2000 miles away) so hopefully he'd be over his stalking phase before I got back. Then I had a family emergency and had to leave early on really short notice.

A couple of weeks after I left, a coworker of his that he had previously cheated on me with posted on his wall that she had a "great time with him" and "couldn't wait to see him again" so I screenshot it, knowing he would delete the post when he woke up.

When he texted me good morning that day, the post was deleted, and I broke up with him by sending him the screenshot with a message. We did end up having a very short phone call, and I still would have rather broken up with him in person but I wasn't able to.

• Many girls are saying "rather" well have you done it truly? Well I have twice. One was because he lived in another state as soon as I started school. Second was because he is only comfortable talking in text. I don't like doing this I admit it I did it. Let it go. Yea it's not respectful but it's what happened. Face to face is definitely hard and better to do it.

• I think the thing that would make me feel the most dignified would be writing him a letter. I have actually done this twice (once I gave it to him, the other time... long story). If I were to break up over text, that would mean that I was 1) a jerk 2) never really in to him anyway 3) was probably using him 4) had no interest in becoming friends with him, post-breakup. This is really the lowest thing you can do over text. I recommend steering clear of any girl who has done this to you.

• I would prefer in person, it's more humane.

• No, I'd never do that. Breaking up should always be done in person. I'm sorry that happened to you :(

• I broke up with mine through text, but he cheated so he didn't deserve the respect. If you had a decent relationship and it ended cause things got rough, than it should have been in person. But sometimes it doesn't hurt over text as much as it does in person, especially seeing peoples reactions.

• I told her if she were going to break up with me do it in person but I suppose she did not get it. I didn't cheat on her or anything bad.

• Than she's just doing a cop-out on it. Just take it as it is I guess. Some people like to take the easy way out with it.

• I definitely think that is the worst way to break up with someone (other than through Facebook or other social media). I'll tell you why I could understand if someone does this, but for the record I have never and will never do this.
    I kinda understand because 1) it might be something they have been thinking about and finally they're just like "I can't do this anymore" and ends it right then and there. Spur of the moment kind of thing
    2) maybe they feel like the relationship wasn't long enough/ serious enough
    3) they feel as tho they would be waisting your time (or their own if they are selfish) to plan something with you just to break it off.
    4) because someone cheated/did something to make that person believe they don't deserve a face to face break up and/or explaination.
    Again I don't condone this even though it may seem like I do. I don't REALLY even understand it but I like to think I'm an understanding person. Hopefully that helped.

• Rather do it in person. I don't think breaking up through text is very nice.

• I probably would, unfortunately; but thats not how I'd want it to happen. The only reason I'd do it over text would be out of insecurity for myself. I'd rather do it respectfully-face to face.

• I'd rather do it in person, I find that incredibly rude and disrespectful. I'm sorry that it happened to you

• Personally I wouldn't but maybe your ex was scared to do it face to face or you were fighting over text and she wanted it to end right there

• In person. Over text is such a dick move

• Boyfriend... Yes i have a few times! But we never actually broke up turns out it was just us both being hard headed! Marriage NO! I was married for 15 years that was done in person. Maybe after we have several years under our belt its only been 9 months... There will be no break up texting!

• If I'm going to break up with a guy then at least He deserves to be respected so I would do it in person. I wouldn't be heartless about it and do it via text, that's pathetic. The guy deserves more than that

• Yeah I bought her a 200 dollar necklace and she told me what a great guy i was said we would have sex, go on vacation, go to the movies and out of nowhere got cold with me, its NOT even about having sex and going on vacation but keeping your word because I always keep my word i felt a little betrayed

• You know what. It's good she broke up with you. From what you're saying, it seems like she wasn't worthy of you. She didn't deserve you. It's best to have people like that outta your life. If it's still eating at you, maybe talk to her. You never know. There may be a confusion between you and it be better solved

• Nope because I think a guy is a wimp for doing that so I wouldn't do it either...
    Its more respectful.

• I would rather break up with them face to face not through a text

• Its better in person. I'm sorry !

• Do it in person because I will eventually see him again and I would regret it when I didn't let him see how it hurts me to break up with someone I once loved

• I wouldn't break up with any partner through text unless absolutely necessary

• No, that's rather juvenile

• breaking up in texts is soooooo stupiiidddddddd anyone who does that is stupid.

• Breaking up with someone is not easy so honestly i would prefer for someone to break up with me in person so i would do the same but its easier said than done.

• if i have to break up with my boyfriend, i would do it in person. Breaking up with someone is not easy especially through text. I am so sorry for what happened to you.. but you should think what you done to make her want to break up with youu... ;/

• It depends on why I was breaking up with him, sometimes they don't deserve to get broken up in person.

• I think it's always better to do it face to face

• I would definitely do it in person and i am so sorry that happened to you it's not right.

• I would do both. Only if I am breaking up with you for a stupid reason, then I would text.

• If I had to break up with my boyfriend, I will talk to him in person. Breaking up through text is Lol.

• That would be very bitchy and i would never do thay

What Guys Said 5

• i thought my ex was going to but she said we need to talk and i knew what that meant, the worse thing is some girls think that doing it in person can backfire it either gets resolved and sex happens then a break up after or you stay together just for sex like i have before or you eventually breakup in person and they fight and slam doors and leave saying fuck you because you didn't delete there pictures from your happy memories.

• Don't do the things that are done to you, break the chain and be different so that breaking up with people over text doesn't become common.

• If you never saw them, the relationship isn't serious, and or your under the age of 14- just my opinion

• Naaah I will never breakup with my girlfriend if she text me stupid

• Some girls are not confident enough and do it over txt.