If your significant other didn't like your family, would you still be able to make it work?

If the person you were dating didn't get along with your family, would you be able to continue dating them or would it be a deal breaker?

Most Helpful Girl

• dealbreaker! if you don't like my family you won't like me! I don't tolerate anyone disrespecting or looking at my family with disdain so we could not be around each other.

What Guys Said 7

• Not "liking" someone family is quite ok. Being disrespectful, hurtful, and doing things to harm YOUR relationship with your family is NOT ok.
    Oddly enough, it's not uncommon for someone to not "like" their partners family. Everyone was brought up differently and sees another person's family as "different" most of the time. They won't agree with their thoughts, beliefs, methods, morals, etc. It's just the way it is.
    But they should be able to have dinner with your family, participate in holidays with your family, talk to you family in a civil, respectful manner, etc. You should expect he treat your family exactly how you would treat his (that he would be ok with).
    Now... when you mom calls and he tells you (in a non-joking manner) to not answer the phone or to hang up, that's not going to work. When he won't go to your families house, it's not going to work (not going 2 out of 10 times is ok though).
    I'm sure this all makes sense. And you would know if the guys is just looking at your family as different and not wanting to spend all his time around/with them or if he's simply hateful of them. I'd only be concern because you've asked the question... and that lends me to believe it's a little more than the normal family-dislike that nearly everyone has.

• WHY don't they like my family?

Is it just a feeling they have?

Or is a legitimate gripes?

Personally, I will not be sleeping with my family (Sexually). Neither do I come to them for the comfort I can only get from my woman. My family does not do the things for me that she does, and I do not do the things for her that I do for them.

Basically, when I am away from my family and married, then my family is very limited in my life. I love them, yes, but the truth is that what they think has almost no bearing on me, my wife, or my emotional well being.

• I don't need everyone to be best buds or anything. Sure, it'd be easier to have everyone get along splendidly all the time, but that's not always gonna happen.

I just need the people in my life to treat me and a GF with respect, and I would need her to treat them with respect as well.

• Well, I don't require any SO to love my family as much as I do. However, I DO require that any SO treat my family with respect, whether she likes them or not.

For the record, my family LOVED my wife. She LOVED them. I love her family and I still do. I regularly have dinner with them.

• so what i don't get along with my family either LOL

• I doubt it would work

• I was together with a girl for 7 years she didn't like my familly that much, but at least she tried and tried to be friendly. but yh it can work, it's a bit anoying at times though but I never worried about it to much :) in the end we did break up but this was for completly different reasons.

What Girls Said 4

• Depends on why he didn't like them. Most of the time, when you really like someone, you can put up with their family bullshit. So he has to put up with my family to prove that he likes ME, not them. If he, however, has a good reason; like one of my family members was rude to him. I'd definitely respect his choices.

• I don't think it would be a deal breaker unless he didn't have a valid reason for why he disliked them. As long as they were civil to one another, I wouldn't mind

• If they don't like some of my family thats okay. If he doesn't like my sisters, its a deal breaker.

• Not everybody will get along with everybody, but as long as they can still smile, be polite and civil, then there's no issue. This would also be the case with anybody outside my family he didn't get along with though. You get to an age you realise you won't get along with everybody but you still need to act right and be polite, if a man can't do that, he's too immature for me and can go back to gossiping about who he doesn't like with his school friends.