Girls and Guys: Do you find it important that your significant others parents/family like you?

Would it bother you if your girlfriend/boyfriend or even wife/ husband's parents and or family did not approve of you or just plain out didn't like you for some reason? Is it important to get along with the others parents? Would you feel awkward around social events with them or would you just not go? Would you end things if you found out that they thought less of you or would you just ignore it? Would it upset you? How do you feel about this?

Most Helpful Guy

• It is super important. If you want it to last they must at least be civil. This comes from experience. I dumped the love of my life because she and my family wouldn't stop fighting. I regret it to this day.

• That is horrifying and I am so sorry... me and my boyfriend's parents do not see eye to eye on a lot of due due to religion. I've never met someone so judgmental and religious in my life. It's just not fair.

• Haha hey thanks for the support!

What Guys Said 5

• my ex-girlfriends mother didn't like me but that didn't stop
    me from loving her at one time course her mom brain washed
    her to stay away from dating guy from her own race see my
    ex was white so her real dad was white too but was a bad to
    her mother so her mom brain washed her into not dating
    white men but black men only so this girl put me through hell
    in plain words, Crystals mom turned her racist like her self.

• It really really makes things much easier

• no why family must mess up?

• I find it extremely hot that her mother likes me and wants me to be with her daughter. Mothers have life experience and know what a woman needs to be happy.

• I look at it as a bonus.

What Girls Said 4

• yeah thats extremely important to me. if i dont get their approval, then I'm obviously not the one. our parents know us better than anyone and if his dont like me, then i guess I'm not a good match for their son. i know it seems stupid to take their opinion but i mean it only makes sense to me anyway.

• Really? what if your parents feel you two are perfect for eachother, both your friends feel it, and even you two know there's something there but his parents dont like you cause they had someone else in mind forr him, would you still end it? wouldn't you want to prove them wrong and show that you and thier son were made for eachother.

• ofcourse id fight for him, i wouldn't just give up straight away. if i can change their mindset about me thats fantastic. if not then i can't b with him. @oladeji123 like why the hell would i create such a tension between 2 families?

• Fair enough. I see your point

• It's very important to me that my partner's parents like me. I'm not really sure why. I get along very well with my partner's brother, I think his mother is lovely, even though I have a very low opinion of his step-father. I know that my partner hates my family with a passion and I don't entirely blame him but I just wish everyone could get along well with each other.

• I know... I love happiness and peace but you'll eventually run into the ones that you will never please and want to rain on your beautiful day.. good thing I bring an umbrella around them :)

• It didn't matter to me when I was younger, but believe me, when you are married and have children it will become a HUGE issue you. It's extremely important to me now.

• of course it does