My mom ruined my first date and I feel upset about it. What should I do?

I met this really cute guy from school and a few hours ago, we met up at a restaurant. My mom sat in her car and watched us the whole time. We just hung out in his car and he told me he was going to drive around with me and I wasn't allowed to do that. I'm 18 years old and my own mother had to watch our first date and now I feel really embarrassed. Do you think it was wrong of my mom to watch our date?

Most Helpful Guy

• I would have told my mom to leave or had the guy come pick me up. you are an adult you should have your mother hovering around dates

• Your mom really should have had something better to do, I hope you had a second date and she wasn't there!

Most Helpful Girl

• You are an adult now
    I think she is being over protective
    You are not a minor anymore

What Guys Said 8

• I agree with @Scorpio909, you're an adult and if you don't want to be treated like a child, you're going to need to assert yourself - and tell your mother to butt out. It's nice that she cares about you enough to be there (literally!) for you. But you're certainly not going to invite her into your honeymoon suite... are you? At some point, you're going to have to cut the cord.

And it's going to totally weird out your dates that you're not grown up enough to go on a date without your mother.

• wow you're 18 and she did that? damn. well your mom is just being protective.

• More like over protective. She an adult now, so even if she's still living with her mom she still has the right to privacy.

• This is completely unreasonable, you are of the age of majority and able to make your own decisions. If she insists 'so long as you live under my roof...' then stop living under her roof.

• Did you know she was gonna do that?

• No I didn't expect that.

• Have you talked to her? Asked why she felt that necessary? It's kinda extreme.

• Order some pizza, put a living spider in the box, offer her a slice and watch her flip tge fuck out hahaha!

• tell her straight that your 18 and you need more freedom

her overprotectiveness can compramise your social status (which is very important) and can comprimise your dating life

• i think its okay for a mom to try to protect you but yoru 18. and she shouldn't follow you.

• I don't want to talk bad about your mom, but that was completely unreasonable of her. I think you need to move out, and gain some independence over your life. If she is that controlling, I don't see you ever being able to find love as long as you live with her.

What Girls Said 2

• As a mom... may I?

Of course mine is very very young, and her first date is years and years down the road (if ever!!!).

However...

Every day she grows a tiny bit more independent. She doesn't need me as much.

It hurts. It's hard to let go. Seems yesterday I was warming a bottle for her; now she microwaves her own lunch while playing on her tablet.

Your mom is having a hard time letting go. She wants to protect you. She went way overboard, but try to understand that watching her daughter grow is hard. She trusts YOU, but that slimy octopus armed groping GUY you're with? Heck no!

You can and should approach her, but do it with love and not anger. K?

• Well you're 18 now so you technically have the right to do whatever you want OUTSIDE of the home (you guys were at a restaurant).

You're gonna have to be assertive & tell your mom how you feel. If she still doesn't budge then you still don't need to tell her exactly where you're going.