Why, even when I'm adamant about not dating until I'm in my 20's do I want to date SO bad?

I'm a teenage girl, shouldn't be worrying about this stuff, but I just seem even more distracted by the dating world when I'm not in it. Should I enter this 'realm'?

Most Helpful Guy

• Well... over repression can lead to a build up of expectations, which may cause you to go crazy when you actually do start dating (the same way that people who never drink when they're teens sometimes go crazy with drinking when they hit 21).

In my opinion, there's nothing wrong with dating when you're a teen, as long as you don't take it too seriously and are somewhat cautious. Dating now will give you more experience for when you are in your 20's.

From what I've seen, the main problem people have when they first start dating is not what age they start, but how they go about it. The single biggest problem is jumping into a relationship you're not ready for, whether that be emotional or sexual.

From what I've seen, people who are inexperienced with dating are equally likely to make that mistake, regardless of if they start when they're 13 or if they start when they're 25. But if you start when you're a teenager, you have one advantage that you won't have when you're older, which is that your parents are still looking out for you. It's not much of an advantage, because most teens keep their parents out of their lives as much as possible, but parents can stop you from making really bad decisions when you're young. That's no longer the case when you're an adult.

• I should point out that making mistakes is part of life, and some mistakes are unavoidable... or just poor luck... part of life. Getting your heart broken when you're 30 doesn't feel any better than when you're 16, particularly if you're not used to it. Age gives you some perspective, but not much compared to experience. And people don't always get more mature when they're older like they should either. Follow your heart but be careful.

• Thank you! This is extremely helpful, and puts a new perspective about how I see things. I'll make sure to use this advice-- or fact, I'm not sure what it is, but it's very helpful. Thanks.

What Guys Said 3

• Because hormones.

• Because girls are very easily socially affected, and boys less so. You see all your friends/everyone else doing it, and feel like doing it too.

• I hardly consider it a "realm," it's just interacting with people in a specific way.

What Girls Said 2

• I think everyone wants to experiment in dating at a younger age. I would NOT reccomend starting to date all the way in your 20's, your lack of experience would make it difficult and just confusing. I say, don't push yourself into it, but if you meet a guy and want to take it to that step, do it.

• Your body have needs!