Guys - what do you think when a girl's family is intimidating?

So, let's say you've been seeing a girl for a while and you've reached the point where you want to introduce each other to your families.

But her family is... well, intimidating. I'll use my family as an example. We're really close and they mean the whole world to me. I'm the youngest by 5 years, so naturally everyone's the most protective over me. I'm a total daddy's girl, and he's a scary guy when he wants to be; my mom is a high-level martial artist who has previously had no problem threatening my sisters' asshole now-ex-boyfriends with physical violence; and my brother-in-law is an MMA-type guy with sleeve tattoos who looks after me as though I was his own little sister, and who can be very terrifying if he doesn't like someone.

Did I mention my 65-year-old grandmother has also threatened my sisters' exes? Yeah. That's how bad it is.

I'm a tough gal myself (as you can see, it runs in the family!) so I wouldn't be dating a pushover anyway. But even to a pretty strong and confident guy, my family can be scary!

So guys, would this be a problem for you? How would you react? If a girl told you all of this about her family, would you still want to keep seeing her? What could she do or say to make it easier for you to handle meeting the family?

Most Helpful Guy

• I would think: "Damn, it's gonna be tough to win her family" xD
    I would be a little be scared but because I'm meeting your family, you're always nervous when this happens, no matter what type of family it is, you just want to be liked by everyone.
    But I wouldn't be too scared, I consider myself a great guy, and I rarely have any problems with anyone, I barely have had enemies in my life. What I mean is that I make myself be liked by others very easily. But I hope your family gives more than one chance, because my first impression is not usually good (don't know why), but when you get to know me better, I'm Awesome (sorry for the bragging xP).

What Guys Said 5

• I would try to be polite because her family is important to her, but if they kept pushing I would call their bluff. I doubt they are willing to go to prison just to intimidate me. So really they have no power other than trying to turn the girl against me.

• The only way I'd get intimided by my girlfriends family is if they are gangsters rolling deep. Based on your family i wouldn't be intimidated.

• It could be a stress factor if they keep pressuring me constantly for small reasons or no reasons at all , but fortunately I like being put on the spot when people think that I'm no good and I prove them wrong mysteriously , like I'd be working on something but never tell anyone until the last moment... I'm committed.

• If he is being respectful then you should defend him if your family is coming on too strong.
    In the end it is nice if the family gets along with him, but it is ultimately your relationship is between the two of you.

• I'd be cool with it. Then again I've worked a lot on my self confidence.

Hopefully the guy is confident for this.

What Girls Said 0