Is there a big difference between being humble and being unconfident in yourself?

I think I'm humble but many people say I have low confidence. I don't believe I'm all that and a bag of chips but I don't believe I'm worthless either. Is my being humble a problem?

Most Helpful Guy

• Yes, definitely. A humble person isn't also synonymous with low self-esteem or a self-deprecating attitude. A humble person can otherwise be a very confident and charming person to be around, they just don't attribute all of their success to themselves.

An unconfident person, however, is pretty synonymous with cutting themselves down for no reason at all. I've been called humble many times before because when I do something but feel like I didn't put 100% into it or the result could have been better, I'll do the whole "eh, it's alright" thing. While others might feel like the result was really good and congratulate me for it. So there was a reason for me to draw back and not be overly congratulatory of myself.

When you're cutting yourself down for no reason though? That's a pretty good indicator that you're not being humble but instead are being self-deprecating. If you stop doing something or don't even start because you already have decided that you're not worthy of it, that's low self-esteem. I'm not sure if you think feeling highly of yourself is a bad thing, or if you genuinely don't think highly of yourself? But yeah, there's nothing wrong with liking things about yourself, feeling impressed by your own strengths and talents, and just genuinely liking the fact that you're you.

There's not enough info here to really see if you are low on yourself or not. Since that was the only line to really judge off of, it alone might suggest that you ARE low on yourself.

• I am a little low on myself but I feel that other people mainly my family are low on me than I am on myself. And that makes me feel low about myself.

• Then communicate it to them that what they're saying is uncalled for or unnecessary, and that it bothers you. There's nothing wrong or weak about telling people to check themselves instead of just enduring needless comments that make you feel bad.

• I just need to be mentally strong and not let it bother me because they are never going to stop.

What Girls Said 4

• Yes. People often mistake confidence for arrogance and they also mistake arrogance for confidence.

confidence is when you are good at something and you know you are.

arrogance is when you are good at something and you don't care that you have something positive to contribute to the world.

• Just now was answering a similar question! I agree with u. Humility is totally difference from low confidence. In fact, only the truly confident people can be humble. You need guts to be humble. False pride is confused with confidence.

• Being humble and having a low confidence are two different things.

Being humble means you don't have to let people know your strengths/capabilities/abilities because you're confident enough that people would still know or notice.

Having a low confidence means you know you can do better but you think you can't.

• To be humble mean you know very capable basically anything you set your mind to witout expecting appraisal or doing thingd just to prove yourself.

To have low self esteem is to feel the opposite not feeling capable and looking for appraisal. ..

What Guys Said 4

• Nope. its a very thin line not a big difference. You can be humble and confident, but being unconfident doesn't necessarily mean you are humble. is like saying someone with low esteem is humble... nope they just have low esteem. my definition of humble is being capable of stuff, but not rubbing it in other people's faces.
    so if you fit in there.. then you are humble. if you can't look people in the eyes when you talk to them, you have low confidence. if you can't even walk up to people lol... you have no confidence.

• Those are 2 totally separate things. Very self-confident people can definitely be humble.

• Low-confidence comes from a poor view of yourself. Humbleness comes from recognizing your greatness, but realizing other people also have that capacity and honoring them by not shoving your greatness in their face.

• Being humble is pretty much not being like, look at me I can do something better that you and I am awsome as well! So nah being humble is fine, as long as you have and feel the confidance allow them to think what they want man chin up : )