What does it mean to "reset" in a relationship?

I've been off and on relationship with my bf for 4 years and he said every time we get back together he "has to reset." What does he mean? Reset mentally? Emotionally? Does it mean we start from zero? I just pick up where we left off so I don't get that:/

Most Helpful Guy

• Basically what you've said. It can work, but it's mostly fantasy.

The only real way to forget memories/emotions/old love is through brainwashing, and even then the memories are repressed, not forgotten completely.

The brain is a complicated organ that does not easily bend to the will of man.

What Guys Said 8

• "Reset" meaning a clean slate; to start over from scratch from past mistakes but not necessary forgetting memories between you two. I'd say whatever happened already did and its best to learn from it and move forward. No need to reset or anything like that o. o

• It never works.. Me and my ex tried that and it worked for short time but later it comes back. Same bad habits, reminding me of old memories why i did that and i did it again ect...

• It means he just wants to start over completely.. as it happens in the end of friends with benefits..!;);)

• We were seriously dating, not FWB... So not sure how that applies

• Maybe u can just have a talk over it... when u have a chance to talk..!:):)

• You know what reset means?
    You know what in means?
    You know what relationship means?
    Put all 3 together and its pretty much that.

• Oh, u r a funny bloke, aren't you?

• Until you are most helpful

• People like you are the reason the world cannot be happy simply with black and white and that now, we are stuck searching for the unfindable. People like you who wish to not make the first step into a better world by selecting a perfectly scientifically based response as most helpful. Thank you Lioness. Without you the world would be a better place. *tears*

• Letting everything go.. starting over like the first date. Not holding a grudge or prejudice. ... it's hard for women to do this. Goes against their programing.

• So it's not a bad thing? He said it in a way that made it seem negative, like the fact we have been together for years doesn't matter because he has to reset.

• He is asking for a fresh star and for you to forget.. for him to let stuff go too. So from a man's perspective no its not bad. As long as nothing bad like cheating went down...

• No cheating... I thought he meant he lost some loving feelings for me and he can't move forward every time we break up cuz it's like we're back to the starting line.

• yeah you answered yourself.

• resetting is a nice word for hard core revenge

• Reset happens when you've Sept with someone else. So he sleeps around and resetted

What Girls Said 2

• If you have been On and off for four years, maybe it is time to stop resetting, and fast forward , to a new relationship, obviously this one isn't working for you both ,

• Never heard of this, I think it's a load of BS really. It says a lot if you keep breaking up though, is it worth it?

• U Are right, but really who has an ideal relationship?