Why are SO's referred to as boyfriends and girlfriends? Why not something more significant or intimate?

It's nothing special. It doesn't tell anyone that you are dating. I could refer to any of my guy friends as a boyfriend. It doesn't mean anything at all. It's just two words combined. It has no special meaning at all.

Most Helpful Guy

• I suppose it could refer to any guy/girl who's a friend but people presume it to mean a romantic relationship. Wrt why the word is not more intimate, look at it this way: your bf/gf is unique; so are you. That means you can now come up with your own specific nickname that will be a little secret between you and him/her. There are plenty to choose from. XD

lilyshine.com/2013/09/200-nicknames-for-boyfriend/

What Guys Said 3

• Because the relationship you have isn't that significant. If you're dating, then you're dating. If you are dating exclusively, then you are on your way to a monogamous serious relationship. But a boyfriend isn't that. A boyfriend IS just a male friend. A boyfriend is a temporary relationship.

I know, you want a lot more. You want to feel the security, love, and intimacy that comes with marriage. That's a good thing to want. But trying to get it with someone who hasn't made a commitment to you is dangerous. Girls should do more to guard their hearts and less to dive in with everything into the shallowness of dating.

• A Significant Other is a term applied to a person's partner in a long term intimate relationship. That is much more than just a girlfriend (or boyfriend). That is what it actually means, so it does have special meaning.

• That would be bae lol

What Girls Said 1

• Ok. So what did you have in mind?