"Odds Favor White Men, Asian Women On Dating App"Based on 2.5 million online dating interactions. Any surprises?

Facebook app "Are You Interested" and "OKCupid"

Article:
www.npr.org/.../are-you-interested-dating-odds-favor-white-men-asian-women

• Surpised
  • Not surprised

Most Helpful Guy

• I thought people preferred their own race mostly, hmm

• I have seen that as well. This focus' on online dating though.

What Girls Said 8

• Not surprised at all. In my experience, white guys are into Asian girls because they're more feminine (thinner, dress more girly). Asian girls are into white guys because they're trying to get away from all their cultural obligations. All that other stuff about being submissive, putting the man first, wanting a status symbol, being bigger in height, build, or otherwise.. maybe, but seldom the case.

• The largest number of mixed marriages are between a WM and an AF. But this data show that men of each race except AM respond most to AF vs other females. It also shows that women of each race respond most to white males except black females.

• I am not surprised

• I'm an Asian and experienced to join a dating site 1 year ago. I guess it is very seldom for white men to have personal or actual encounter, unless they have common friends. but I guess it's very rare since we came from different continent etc. Probably it thrills them to have the chance to meet Asian women.

• obviously cuz i don't use dating apps.

• i thought men found Asian woman less exotic, i mean small eyes, boob, ass and height.

• No, they like Asian women cause they're "submissive" and have a "smaller tighter" you know...

• I agree with ASKER, most Asian women are Asian by decent only. They are home grown American girls. So I can't believe they inherited the submissive gene.

And most are very appealing to the eye. 👀

.

• Are you trying to insult yourself?

• Yea. I'm Asian and it seems that white men typically aren't that interested in Asians.

• Nope not surprised
    White guys like Asian girls because they're submissive and feminine
    Asian girls like white guys because they're a good status symbol to have and easy to control.

But I have to agree with meatballs21. Those dumbass "otakus" are probably skewing the results

• The data shows these two have highest response rates from all other races with one notable exception for each. It doesn't mean only a White Male/Asian Female combination.

• Obviously I know that all white men do not think that Asian girls are submissive and feminine and all Asian women aren't on some ridiculous gold digging hunt to use white men.

The absence of the word "some" does not mean the presence of the words "all" or "only"

• I agree. But it interesting that these two have highest response rates from all other races with one notable exception for each. I think the exceptions are pretty surprising.

• Are You Interested isn't very popular in mainstream culture, so it may have a hidden niche audience. OkCupid seemed to show less clear cut results.

• 2.4 million records seems to be a significant data pool.

• I'm curious if its big on the west coast...

• For the women it does appear less clear cut from the OKCupid data. The male data is consistent.

What Guys Said 13

• Its status for women as always. If you go to more ancient Asian countries like India where these so called 'caste systems' exist and do a research you will find women of lower castes (or social status) and of upper castes want men of upper castes only. This is for cases of love marriages. As in the case of arranged marriages the same caste (hierarchy) is the criteria. Besides, Asia itself is a melting pot of so many races. There are races of Indo-Caucasian origins mostly residing in Central Asia, Steppes all the way to northern India, Afro-Asians like the Arabs and Mongoloid communities.

So in my opinion the research needs to go a bit more further than just picking up random samples. I'm quite sure quite a lot of Mediterranean women who are of a shorter stature than say women of northern Europe are going to be with men of Central Asia and some other Indo-Caucasian men simply because there are tall men there. In addition, and this needs to be pointed out, a lot of European men have already mixed Asian populations thousands of years ago (Greeks?). Like in the case of my country a lot of British men mixed with Indian women though we have lost records and most of these Anglo-Indians really do not seem European at all now.

• Everyone knows White men are most desired, however I am a bit surprised at the Asian female statistic. I assume it's because White girls prefer their own more than Asian girls do.

• You'll note different results for other dating applications/websites, acknowledged in the article.

But, to say that race doesn't play a factor in dating is idiotic.

• Not at all... I think the results for that app might be skewed by neckbeards looking for azn waifus, though.

• I had to look that term up: Waifu is an Engrish term primarily used by Asian men to refer to one’s own wife. While the colloquial use of the word in East Asan cultures predates its online popularity

• no not really, Asian women are the most desirable females. Because well, there sexy and petite.
    Male white guys are the most because they seem less intimidating and many people are still off put by the colored skin penis. (in my opinion)

• Not really, white men are still seen as those with the highest status (200 years of imperialism) and Asian women are considered to be somewhat subservient.

• I really hope that is not the case. This is really out of scope for me but I know here in SoCal there is a significant Asian population. Being a white male I have seen that from a distance most Asian women are very physically attractive. I would not hesitate to have a date with an Asian woman. It will really come down to who she is. That should be the final determinant regarding preferences.

Keep in mind these statistics are drawn from some very volatile sources. People's choices and preferences can be fleeting.

My favorite motto:
      "Statistics are like a bikini;
      They show a lot, but they don't show everything"

😊

• I wish the analysis would show more on raw data and how someone mentioned it were weighted values, but intuitively I see little wrong with it.

• Not surprising. Same goes with African American men dating white women.

• You didn't read the article or the data. It isn't about just WM and AF as a couple. It is about how those two get a disproportionate number of replies. Neither Black Male or White Female get the most and Black Males get the least out of the males as a group.

• @Asker Actually Asian men are the least desirable according to the statistics of various dating apps such as okcupid and tinder

• That may be true but the data from this study on the Facebook app had a different result although probably not by much.

• Australian chicks, swedeish chicks and white American women are hot. No surprise.

• I'm surprised that Asian girls were favored, I don't see what's so great about them.

• I've never trusted samples, so I won't comment.

• Obviously it will

• I'm surprised about the Asian women part considering so many non white guys want white girls.

• That surprised me too.

• There's probably more white guys on that dating app in the first place. The statistics are skewed.
    Even if that wasn't the case, at least they have the app to go to because they aren't favored in real life.

• They normalized it with percentages, not numbers.

• I would prefer to see a more rigid sampling done amongst equal contestants from all groups (1000 of each group). Have this done under controlled conditions with complete confidentiality.
      I would have a bit more confidence with those figures.