How to make sure the guy knows you don't want to hook up?

So I made out with a guy at a party the other night while he was drunk. This guy had a crush on me last year and we hung out a little bit like we ate together, but it eventually it just casually ended. It was strange, but then at the party that happened and now he texted me saying how he was glad I came out, and i said i had fun too, and he says we should hang out more and i said yes we should. Then the other night he texted me around 10:50pm asking if i was free the next day, and he asked me to hang out with him in his room around 8 or 9pm. I told him I had something at 7:30 so I can come over after, and then he responds i can even come over now if i wanted. So this is clearly to hook up, and I texted him back sorry i can't tonight, but see you tomorrow:) I want to get out of hooking up with him, because i rather date him instead. Im not into hooking up in someones room, but rather at party. I don't know why I'm weird like that, but I need advice on how to get out of this situation and let him know Im not into hooking up, but rather dating?

What Guys Said 1

• Well after kissing him he's going to assume you want to hook up or are interested into doing it or just doesn't know what to do about it and just thinks hanging out is the best way to get you. The best thing you do is be honest? Because if he gets the wrong idea or mixed signals that girls love to give he might just end up assuming you might not be interested at all.

I mean you could ask him to go on a date together in a few days or week or so and might help him get the idea you want to date instead of just hook up but that's about it, there's no real signal to give after you made out with him because now he either assumes you want to be with him or you don't if you don't show interest.

What Girls Said 1

• Communication. Tell him exactly what you want and do not want. Guys need a blunt plain sentence in front of them to read. They are not difficult. Just tell him what your looking for out of the friendship/relationship. No beating around the bush and have no fear when telling him.