GIRLS, which would you rather date? The sweet guy or the bad boy?

Would you rather go for? The charming genuity of a gentleman? or the thrilling excitement of a bad boy? Pick your answer and then define further why you have made that choice and what you think fits into which category.

• Sweet guy
  • Bad boy

Most Helpful Girl

• I would say the sweet guy.
    My reason is I've dated both, the sweet guy at the time I took for granted because I kinda thought he was to sweet, it bothered me. He would come to my house almost everyday just to be around me, he would bring me flowers and buy me stuff. He would tell me he loved me all the time, He loved kissing me down low among other things. I was annoyed.
    So I wanted a bad boy, he was crazy good AT FIRST but hurt me more than anyone I've ever dated. He cheated, lied cursed my family out, hit me, threatened to kill me twice, smoked and drink then blow up on me, he was controlling like I couldn't have a cell phone or anything, just too much bs...
    Now my sweet guy is around and still acts sweet to me, we've known each since childhood.
    Definitely go for a sweet guy now that I know.

• wow thats quite the experience im sorry to hear about that. but i dont think all bad boys are that bad. im glad you are away from him now though

• but thank you :)

• Your welcome :)

What Girls Said 94

• sweet guy. i can honestly say that i have -never- been attracted to the bad boy type. as a group, the bad boys seem way too stupid.

• I think it's really exciting to date a bad boy, but only for a short while. Kind of like a fling. If you're going for the bad boy type, then you need to know that it probably won't last long. So if you go into it with that mind set, not really hoping to get anything out of it other than a thrilling experience, then everybody wins! But when it comes to settling down and being in a long term relationship, nothing can beat those sweet, genuine charming guys. At the end of the day, a cheap thrill is nice, but if you're looking to settle down with someone, then you need someone who will treat you well and is a true gentleman. I personally like the nice guys who make me feel like a princess. I don't generally date just to date, so I tend to go for the more stable and down to earth guys.

• yes i think the reason why bad boys have so much success is because there is no responsibility with them. maybe?

• I think a lot of girls just want some excitement in their lives. I know a lot of girls who after getting out of a long term relationship started dating bad boys left and right. They all pretty much said that they were bored with the nice guys, because they had been with one for so long. So they would date some bad boys, get it out of their system, but then found other nice guys when they wanted to settle down again.

• some sort of cycle? with bad boys being the ones to fall back on?

• I voted a sweet guy all the way. I dated a guy who was the opposite and he was so rude, disrespectful and made me cry. I don't ever want to go through that again. With sweet guys they don't hurt you and the more sweet his is to me the sweeter I want to be with him. They know how to make a girl feel good when she's down not worse. Bad guys in my opinion crave attention and I'm too shy to want to be in that kind of spotlight. It makes me uncomfortable. Besides, I sweet guys are the kind you want to bring home to your parents and spend your life with. :) at least to me thats how I see it.

• thats a very well explained response. so have you ever dated a sweet guy before?

• I'm extremely shy tho, and he knows that. I don't get why guys get so mad girls don't make a move because that's almost like a double standard, why didn't u just make a move as well? We're very close friends and he knows I like him because he told another guy he knew already I had a crush on him and that guy told me what he said. So if he KNOWS and doesn't make a move then I'm sure he doesn't like me in that way or he would have done something by now.

• well yeah i know i didn't make a move but in this case im the shy one and she isnt. i dont see why it was all on me when we missed our chance. but yeah that does sound like it. im very sorry to hear that

• Kinda mix of both, but a lot more sweet than "bad". I'd like a gentleman for sure. I just need a little excitement too. And by excitement, I don't mean drinking, partying, committing crimes, etc. Lol I'm a boring person, but just like willing to try new things and step out of their comfort zone once in a while. Like I have different phobias, so I'm trying to conquer them. I wanna go skydiving to get over my fear of heights. I wanna own a tarantula to rid my arachnophobia. Stuff like that I mean is "exciting" lol Though it's probably tame. I'm a lame boring person. Or beat me in Pokemon :P
    Basically a sweet guy who doesn't mind trying new things and occasionally is willing to step out of his comfort zone, just like I would.

• my god, where do i start? im that boring too. dont worry. i dont like drink, or parties or crimes. they are all pointless to me. i am not great with heights, but im even worse with spiders. i have vowed never to visit countries with spiders bigger then in the uk haha. no one beats me at pokemon. no one. the comfort zone i am not good at stepping out of

• No one beats you at Pokemon? Hmmmm we may have to exchange friend codes to find out :P lol

Lmao, yea, I kinda do wanna go to the Amazon where there's like this "chicken eating tarantula". This tarantula is the size of your head. That would be the true test haha. But it sounds so fucking scary!! 0_o
      I plan on going skydiving either next year or the year after that lol I'm working on it
      I just like to challenge myself and push my limits to see how far can I get. And when I pushed myself to the edge, push more and continue.
      This is the types of thrill I want. Not "hey babe, wanna try this meth and go beat so and so up?" I don't know what "bad boys" do, I'm that lame. I just want a gentleman who can push boundaries with me :)

• well that sounds lovely, but im not one who can push boundaries haha. i am looking for someone equally as timid XD oh no way honey, you would get your pokemon wrecked :')

• Sweet guy, but I don't really know what defines a guy as a " bad boy". When
    I think "bad boy", I think member of the Hells Angels motorcycle gang lol.
    So, I don't really know what a "bad boy" is. See, to me being sweet is more
    of personality or character trait. Where as being a bad boy is more of an image
    one is portraying, so even a guy with a million tattoos and a little black book
    could still be a sweet guy and good person. Does, that makesense?

• I defiantly go for the sweet guy over bad boy. Of course every sweet guy has a little bad in him which is nice, but a guy that respects you and your values is better than the cliche bad boy who usually ends up being a jerk. Keep in mind I say usually.

• hello again :) how much bad should asweet guy have in him?

• no thats okay, thank you for replying :)

• No problem, I do what I can

• I like the sweet guy because I know he would never hurt me. And I believe a nice girl deserves a nice guy. It's actually a personal choice. Some girls prefer tough guys because it they find them so manly and sexy and they feel protected. The kind of guy that is mean towards others but the girl is his weakness. Other girls like me prefer nice guys since they are the sensitive type. And there's a lesser chance that they will cheat on you or break your heart. Because that's what bad boys are known for... being a heartbreaker yet somehow the girls think that they can change/tame them.

• is it psychological, that girls think they have to mould the guy into what they want

• precisely. i see more value in that. thank you for replying :)

• You're welcome :)

• I hate bad boys, absolutely hate them. Why do you ask? Its in the name, they are BAD.. who wants a guy who doesn't treat them right? I have never seen the appeal.. whenever a guy liked that even so much as hit on me, it was an absolute turn down.. nope.. no thank you.. go take that and your crap to someone who wants to be disrespected..

• have you ever dated a bad boy?

• No baggy jeans, no "players", no tattoos or very moderate (one or two small), no piercing, cusses with the guys.. not so much with his woman, treats a girl like a lady, no reputation, no street slang, no jewelry unless its sentimental.. I like my guys old fashioned.. hearts, candy.. flowers

• thats a very reasonable demand :) thanks for sharing

• I gotta say I'm in the middle here. I'd like to date a bad boy just because for once I think it'd be fun to see what happened. But for a serious relationship I'd rather a sweet boy I know I can 100% rely on :)

• I'd pick the bad boy. I admit that having a gentleman would be nice and all, but I get bored pretty easily and I'm kind of hard to tie down. Therefore it would be logical for me to pick someone that can keep my attention.

• mix of both. the one who can make you have the night of your life while still being there when you need him the most

• when you say night of your life... do you mean.. like... you know?

• do crazy stuff, get drunk, bend the rules a little. but ill wait a little before getting to that kind of stuff

• OHH hehe never mind then. yeah i think both sides are capable. but typically thats a bad boy thing haha

• A mix of both, but I voted for the sweet guy. A guy can be sweet and nice, but he should have a little bit of an edge to him.

• and what do you define as an edge?

• but you did say you wanted a guy with an edge to him which I don't understand why you would want that

• @silvernblackattk: Because I don't want one of those "nice guys" who also happens to be a complete pushover.

• I've only ever gone for the sweet guys. I just find them easier to connect to.

• I rather have a sweet guy who treats me right and makes me laugh and feel safe compared to a guy who is only going to use me as a doormat or only wants me to stroke his ego bad boys are only good for one thing supposedly just like so called h### and s#### and that's a cheap thrill from what I hear lol after that there is nothing else at least not on a deep level in my opinion

• so you see a long lasting relationship with a sweet guy?

• haha fair enough that makes sense. i see you are someone who sees no value in pointless relationships and looks for commitment. im like that, but i couldnt manufacture either haha

• Yea I like to clarify that kind of stuff at the beginning I believe in dating with a purpose don't feel bad I have technically never had a realtionship last pass a month and 2wks bc I won't have sex and want something real bt I believe these experiences will make it even better when I find my other half bc I will be able to truly appreciate him and I want him to do the same dont worry everything will work out :)

• sweet guy :) bad boys don't understand what "no" means. bad boys won't stick around forever

• Mixture of both for me :) an exciting gentleman in other words
    But if I had to chose only one, I'd say the sweet guy :)

• what are we talking about with excitement, like what do you imagine an exciting guy would be like?

• Something like doing exciting things together, like going on a road trip or something. For short, someone you never get bored with :)

• oh fair enough thanks for responding

• Sweet Guy, I've really only been attracted to sweet guys. I'm not into games or drama, seems like my friends who have dated the bad boys end up hurt in the end.

• so you are using other peoples experience as a lesson to yourself? or you have genuinely never been attracted to them

• No, I've never been attracted to bad boys, the other people's experiences was an observation.

• ahh so you will have very little doubt then

• The sweet guy<3 Sweet guys are irresistible! They are always so nice and know how to have a good time and they are trustworthy and easy to bond with. They are open to all kinds of different options and are always there for you! Sweet guys make my heart melt :)

• no doubts? would you ever consider a bad boy?

• haha oh you think so? thanks :) im glad you think that

• Yeah I think so! And anytime (:

• I'm all for the bad boy, but they have bad reputations. I voted for the sweet guy because if you find the right bad boy, he is sweet and caring towards you. No matter what others think of him

• so you believe the right bad boy is rarer than the right sweet guy?

• I think they both are hard to find. I dated a "bad boy" but he was the sweetest guy ever. I've also dated sweet guys who turn out to be complete jerks

• hm fascinating thats quite surprising

• A sweet guy, who's a bad ass when it comes to not letting people take advantage of his kindness.

• ahh thats a good explanation. by the way 100th response!!! thank you! and to all!

• Definetly sweet guy. I have a thing for gentlemens and especially nerdy guys. However since I am very shy too, I don't approach guys myself and the ones that approach me are usually bad guys or just guys that I am not attracted to. I guess they are shy too, but sometimes I do get approached by good guys. Which is aweeeesome

• oh cool, i think the pressure is more on guys i that respect, cause im nerdy and i would like to call myself a gentleman, but im so so shy.

• I would have to go for the bad boy. They come with a sort of thrill. I think a guy who is always nice and sweet can get quite boring after a while.

• I've dated both and I love sweet guys. I love quirky guys, they're always themselves and they're super funny/cute

• I like a mix... I like a bad boy with a sweet side... that is, he can go out in the world and be a bad-ass but then he has a sweet side too.

He might be a rough, wild, crazy guy who takes no shit, but then he submits to me and is sweet and caring.

• The sweet guy. I'm way over liking the bad boy type.

• Somewhere in between. He can be a bit of both.

• i really didn't believe the two could combine

• I think most people are somewhere in the gray area. The white would be the perfect guy who is nice to everyone, follows religion avidly, serves everyone, is very humble, etc. The black is the bad guy who is selfish, self-centered, mean, violent, sinful, etc. Most people would fit in neither of the two categories, but in between.

• thats fair enough, thank you for your response :)

• Sweet guy that can be a tad bit dangerous :D

• Sweet guy. Bad boys are a recipe for trouble which I am no fan of.

• I would date both so long as the bad boy treated me right now, cause majority of the time their not all that bad

• None. The so called sweet guy is just a fake cunt and I'm not into that Disney prince shit and the bad guy is just a dirty douchebag who wants to sleep around.

• im sensing a bad history with guys?

• Guys who seek you to sleep with you aren't the ones with whom you want to spend the rest of your life with. You have to seek yourself.

• again @kep79 speaking with wisdom. see we aren't all that bad haha

• More from Girls
    64

What Guys Said 14

• We have the misconception that bad boys are the only ones that can provide excitement to a relationship, while the sweet guy is the boring one. I don't know why this happens, but I've seen so many guys that are great as a person, and love excitement. Being sweet doesn't mean you don't like excitement.
    Most girls will go for those guys that treat them like they're the number one person in their lives, and who she can go on adventures with; who she can live the most exciting and memorable moments of her life.

Girls want a sweet exciting guy.

• well said! now we just need to find out what excites them haha

• Be confident. If you love yourself (without being a jerk obviously xD) girls are gonna love you. People perceive you how you perceive yourself. Take care of your image too, no girl what a look-a-like bum.
      Be respectful, be a gentleman. I don't think it's too difficult to be liked by girls. Like I said: love yourself in order to be loved by girls, no girl is gonna love a guy that doesn't love himself.

• you know the only thing i have a problem with there is loving myself. i just cant. but thank you very much :)

• I'm really bored with this categorization taking place in the dating world- the bad boy vs. the sweet.

In the end what boils down is balance. How balanced you are as a person and as a man. Its a wrong misconception that bod boy means just excitement and cussing and hitting and all that crap. He might be bad with those who deserve bad behaviour but he might be kind, compassionate and protective to those who deserved it. I was bad and extremely dangerous towards my ex because she deserved that treatment while I'm not at all the same towards my family, brother, father and most importantly towards my mum.

I think this crappy differentiation needs to end. I'm a perfect blend of violent, dangerous traits mixed with protection and compassion. I'm not a 'bad boy' or 'sweet boy' and all that shit. I repeat again , it boils down to perfect balance and everyone loves balance.

• i whole heartedly agree. but im interested to see the outcome of a strict comparison :)

• Well by that I meant start becoming more like a mature guy actually and you will be respected by people around you. Attraction is very much 90% respect. How respected you are counts more than anything else. I think that is common sense.

• may be common sense to you, but to idiots like me i think not haha

• Most girls I've talked to want through reformed bad boy. So he's definitely got that experience in his past, but is choosing to stay on the straight and narrow for her sake.
    Second was a good guy, with a bit of bad boy so that he's willing to take risks and still be exciting.
    But girls seem to prefer the guy that took a bit of work

• why do you think that is?

• I wouldn't say that she changed him, but that he changed himself for her. She "convinced" him that she is worth being monogamous with her.

• but that is kind of manipulative, even if she is doing the guy a favour. i would say that she is the one doing the changing, but i guess it doesn't really matter

• I wanna date a bad boy

• Lol, the secret is, all girls think they want a sweet guy
    But when they see one they they throw him in the friendzone and go for the bad boy,
    Why? Because a girls fantacy is to be treated like shit
    I mean look at a pussy, it is designed in a way to conceed and be treated like shit :p if u know what i mean
    Sweet guy means weak guy
    Bad boy means strong,
    So who is capable of realizing a girls fantacies?
    The sweet or the bad?
    The end :)
    NOW MAKE ME MOST HELPFULL ANSWER!!

• are you one of those bitter guys? or is this a solid belief of yours based on experience?

• Definitely the bad boys <3... oh wwait... only girls... alright...

• Never listen to girls like sweet guys, respond to how they react instead :)

• I voted to see and I'm surprised.

• Please all these girls picking the Sweet guy are only saying that, so they don't look shallow. The results should really be Bad Boy 100+ Sweet guy 0

• um i dunno, i think there are girls out there who can honestly say they dont need a bad boy in their lives. and just as many who will want one

• If you believe that than your delusional.

• My cousin married a nice guy. Everyone thought he was a loser, to her he was a total dream. She has a dominant personality and prefers a guy who agrees with her on everything. So buzz off, yes nice guys do get married!

• Women like guys that are dicks when they are young and they reject the good guys

• perhaps in our experience yes

• Well they do mature faster. Cause most of the guys that are douches go after good women when they are in their late twenties early thirties versus most females doing it in their mid through late twenties.

• ohhh i see, well i have never seen that before, but maybe when im older i may notice it more. but anyway thank you for responding :)

• Liars. They always like the guy who fucks them over

• i dont think they look specifically for a guy who is gonna screw them over, but it does happen. people just need to learn the hard way you know? guys and girls alike

• The narcissist-esque level of confidence in a douchebag guy attracts them

• well its no lie that girls like confidence

• Id go with a good girl, they are rare now a days

• I'm both but I only show my sweet side to girls. They couldn't handle the bad shit I do seriously

• how do you mean? i think we all havr a good and bad side tbh

• i may need context but i know its very personal

• Can't talk about it. It'ss not that I don't want to tell you I just can't nothing personal man

• Really dumb question. I've been learning more and studying women and their psych. Doesn't matter if a guy is sweet or a bad boy. Sure... the sweet guy provides comfort and the bad boy provides excitement... but that doesn't matter in the end.

Women want to date and fuck the cool guy. You know... the guy that knows how to have fun, knows how to let loose, and mingle.

• and that tends to be the bad boy right?

• Lol. I got a dislike for telling the truth. I'm not talking about the guys who are so cool... who are jocks, who are multi-talented and who have tons of friends. By "Cool" I mean men who are comfortable with themselves and know how to talk and make others feel comfortable.

• i agree with your idea of cool :) i think that is something to be proud of