Girls and Guys- Would you date somebody with mental health issues?

Not asking this because I'm cray cray but I was wondering what y'all's thoughts are on the matter? Saw an ad earlier that said 1 in 4 of us will experience a mental health problem in the next year and it got me thinking... would you date someone with some kind of nuttiness going on?

What conditions could you get over and what conditions couldn't you get over? Why?

Most Helpful Girl

• I have done, I dated a guy with schizophrenia for a year.

• MH for bravery! The highest honor a GAGs profile can receive lol

• Ha! It wasn't easy and sadly he does not have a happy ending to his tale but such is life. Thanks for the MH :)

What Girls Said 6

• If they were proactive about dealing with it and were medicated or in therapy I would consider it. I think I would think long and hard though before dating someone with a serious mental disorder like schizophrenia and I would never date someone who wasn't dealing with the issues appropriately (medication, therapy, etc).

• I have a few myself so yes I could. If we have something in common.

• Depends what it was. I can deal with depression and anxiety but if it's like Schizophrenia or Tourette's or something then no.

• I was married to somebody with mental health issues. They were not severe issues, but if you have to spend every day with somebody who has them, it can become really too much to handle.

• It depends on how severe it is.

• We all have problems but I wouldn't date someone who has like a pig fetus in a jar or something. Now that's crazy and i saw a horror movie about it the other day.

• does it matter what species the fetus is? Like pig is a no no but duck is ok?

What Guys Said 2

• I love the positive start you've made here with 'nuttiness'.

It would depend entirely on which mental health issues the individual had. Some are easier to cope with than others.

• Depends on what sort of mental health issue you speak of, but as a general rule... no.