How do you feel about the concept of 'friend-zoning'?

Do women really trap nice men in a zone where they get all the benefits of male companionship with none of the obligations?

Or do 'friend-zoned' men tend to be people just want women for sex but try to pretend that they have more noble goals?

Most Helpful Guy

• Friendzoning seems to mean either one of two things when I hear it discussed. One, a guy complaining how he's in the "friend zone" because the girl won't date/sleep with him. The other, which I believe to be the "original" definition coming from the show Friends, is when a guy tries to befriend a girl first so that she'll like him but doesn't make a move soon enough so he's considered a friend and not potential mate.

Are there whiny guys who complain about friend zoning because the girl won't sleep with him? Of course. Are there manipulative women who use guys? Definitely.

I think that if someone complains about being friend zoned, all I can really think is, "Tough luck, guess you should've made a move sooner." I think if a female is aware that a guy likes her and doesn't want to be with him, it would be faster to just admit that, though I understand how some do not like doing that because they want to spare feelings, but that reasoning always gave me pause.

What Girls Said 3

• To me it means that you just see and treat the other person as a friend (i. e. not someone you're interested in dating). Both men and women can be put in someone's 'friend zone'.

• this concept is unknown in japan

• It's overrated.

What Guys Said 3

• You know what "friendzoning" is? It's lying straight up in the person's face about your intentions.

If I approach someone like a friend, treat them like a friend and hang out with them like a friend, how the hell are they supposed to know that I like them?

• It's rarely intentional (though occasionally it is).

But it happens. Inexperienced guys will often behave in a way with a girl they like that seems more intimate than friendship to them. But she doesn't notice - often because that's how all her male 'friends' treat her.

• I hate being friendzoned