What causes someone to have a relationship phobia?

Why would someone act like their in a relationship and talk like it but when it comes to putting a title on it, the "aren't ready"?

Most Helpful Girl

• Some people just don't want to be committed into something because they don't want to be "tied down" in a way.. They want to be able to do what they do but not be committed in a relationship with someone.. That could be things such as gotten out of a long relationship and don't want to jump back in the deep end so quickly, fear of being hurt/rejected etc etc

What Guys Said 3

• The mere thought of a relationship is scary. Making yourself susceptible and open for criticism or hatred is scary. I think past relationship screwups help create relationship phobias. people get hurt and put up walls because they were left hung to dry and the pain never mended properly. I feel bad for anyone that cannot let love into their heart successfully and hope all people find their special someone.

• He would buy me flowers and cook for me and cuddle and even respect me enough to stop having sex to take things slow. Why do all that if you weren't trying to Impress a girl and be interested in a relationship?

• Being hurt!

• Why does there need to be a title? Just like you don't want to be called something you don't like, is the same way relationship labels work.. why do things need labels?

• the title draws the line. with out the title how do you know if you can see other people, where you are at in a relationship, is it going anywhere? it just gets confusing.

• I don't want to see other people. I just want to be with him. but how do i know where its going? there's no boundaries

• I'm just saying, if you're having to ask if you can "see other people", you're probably not ready for a real relationship

What Girls Said 2

• Fear of rejection I'd say. I think it comes from being hurt. It's a self defense mechanism used to guard a person from getting too close and possibly hurt.

• even after the other person expresses that they have strong feelings for them and want to prove to them that they won't hurt them.

• So should one wait? or accept they dont want one and move on?

• It's your choice really. I honestly can't say I know how it will work out. It very well could work out. He'd see that you really do care for him and stay. But you could also end up hurt because of his self sabotaging ways. And this doesn't mean he's a bad person, he just makes bad choices. If he cares for you a lot, and hurts you, he will regret it one day. That much I know.

• fear of rejection or most likely fear of commitment

• where does fear of commitment come from?

• depends on the specific person, could even be something along the lines of parents that have gotten divorced or a good friend of him who's gotten a terrible break up