What are the problems with dating someone older/younger than you?

I've been seeing this guy for a while, only downside is that he is 36 and I'm 21
I always though 10 years older than me would be the maximum I'd go, but well he's great. Polite, gentle, good job, same interests and he's hot also

It's just, I'm a bit worried about later down the road. I do see everyone I date as potentially being "the one". So I can't think of anything right now, but if there are common issues in regards to us being in different age brackets, I'd like to know about it and think about it, if that makes any sense?

Most Helpful Girl

• Well I don't know many 21 year olds who are "ready" to have children so off that I will assume that you want to wait some time before doing so... Lets say 26. Now he is 40. Does he really want to have children that late in life? Do either of you want children?

• yes we do both want children. I think I'd be ready to have them in 3 or 4 years. He didn't say

• @BetMacklinFBI lol thanks. Bun* Singular :)

What Guys Said 5

• the downside, in your scenario, is that he will die a lot sooner than you, most likely. taking into to account the consensus of life expectancy these days.

• true. I've been thinking about that too. He is very fit though and lives healthy and maybe that will prolong his death for longer

• it certainly will. but there will always be that bracket, even if he does push on longer than the average male.

• In 10 years you'll be 31 , in your prime. He'll be___.
    In 20 years you'll be 40, still very active. He'll be___.
    In 30 years you'll be 50, still active. He'll be___.
    In 40 years you'll be 60, not dead at all. He'll be___.

• there's nothing wrong sometimes it really depends on what you want but if you feel that something is wrong you should say it now because you 21 meeting someone would be way easier for you but for guys finding something meaningful is harder and if your not sure he should know about how worried you are about this age this.

• Do u have pubes

• There are no problems, when it comes to legality, but, morally, you have to ask yourself, why you want a guy who's 36, a full 15 years older than you. That's a BIG difference. It's just something you should think about. Think about it the other way, if you were dating a 6 year old, not only is that illegal, but, isn't it a bit, if not A LOT, immoral?

• I don't think it's comparable to dating a 6 year old really

• 50? Why 50? I said he is 36

• Oh, sorry, I meant 36, haha, same idea though. Point is, think about it. Come back to me when you have

What Girls Said 3

• The main reason for not doing it is that you're at a different stage in your life. I've been with a man who was 10 years older and I knew it was too much for me. His friends were parents, I was still living the average student life. When he was going to clubs, I was still a child, we didn't have the same references. It might sound stupid but it creates a lot of differences.

• My boyfriend is 37, and I'm 19. The only downside to the relationship is other people's comments, they'll say a lot of rude and hurtful things. He looks like he's 25 and age doesn't really matter to me. When dating older men sometimes they can be controlling so date carefully.

• That you two are both just in different phases in life and looking for different things a lot of the time