Would you date a man who doesn't own a car?

Would you date a man that doesn't own a car, therefore he can't obviously pick you up and drop you off. Considering its someone you not previously friends with.

Most Helpful Girl

• Why not? a car is not important in a relationship.. if i have to date a guy without a car then it would be fine. I grew up just riding trains and buses. My family owns a car but we rarely use it so i dont think pub lic transpo is something that is not acceptable in dating. I went on a date with a guy once and we took the train. It was funand i enjoyed his company. We even ate at mcdonalds. Lol. I know people will say he is cheap but i dont care. He is a good person. That guy is my boyfriend now. he doesn't have a car yet. He use his bike to go to my house and it doesn't really matter because i love him and he treats me well. i know he is working hard for our future which is a good thing and he loves me, so being with no car is not really a prob if you are a good person.

What Girls Said 26

• It really depends. In a city with public transport it doesn't matter. Not in a city: I don't need nor do I expect to be picked up and dropped off, I have a license and a car.

However, he'd need to understand that I'm not a fuckin' taxi. I would get really sick really quick of being anyone's chauffeur.

So if he has a means of transportation that isn't ME all the time, I'd be way more likely to consider it. However, I'd say this is unlikely, and that I would be expected to do all of the driving especially if we were dating regularly/getting comfortable. I'd have to say no in this situation.

• Yes of course, I wouldn't expect that man to be literally sucking down your kilometres and asking you to do all the work..

I guess if I paint the picture more realistically. A man that understands the value of a car but just doesn't see the benefit right now, because spending 15000 on a item that deprieciates 100% over time vs putting that into a sexy condo is just not something that makes sense to him today.

So he does have cash, he can take cabs, he does have friend with cars that he gets rides with, he could meet you places.. At most you guys see each other 1-3 times a week and with some of his efforts you really won't be a taxi driver to him... its just whenever you feel like picking or dropping off, you can... when you don't want too its up to him to get to you

BUt the real question here is, if your ok with NOT being picked up by your man for dates, since your not driving separately... this is considering its been a few months into it

• no, not upset at all... its just not sound judgment on your part and kinda of makes the rest of your answer questionable when you label going to med school as a reasonable for not owning a car. Its surely not reasonable.

you should check up how much it even costs to go to medschool... its 6 figures!

• How is being in med school NOT a reasonable excuse to be broke/without a car? I don't understand how that is even remotely wrong. I have my own future debt to worry about, I'm not unaware of the cost of education.

• yes of course i would. there's still plenty of time for him to keep working at it.
    id rather date a man with a job than a man who got handed a car by his parents and doesn't work. can't stand a lazy ass.

• Sure? I have a car so it's not really an issue. Until he starts asking for lifts to far away places, then I would ask for petrol money...

• Yeah I would, and I have done it before. Felt weird but didn't bother me at all. If he had a license he can take my car out if he doesn't well I'm picking him up then, but in all honesty, It doesn't bother me at all, much of a muchness really

• Thats truly a great attitude... your going to land a good one with that kinda of personality ;)

• Haha thanks lovely 🙈

• Umm, I am in a relationship with a guy who doesn't have his own car, so yeah no big deal.

• I don't think a vehicle is important in a relationship. As long as he's able to provide for himself, like buy food, clothes, water, etc., and is attractive to me physically and personality-wise, that's all that matters. Why should a car define that?

• I would not care. Having car is the lastest thing comes to my mind while talking about relationships.
    However, i would like to know why. If there is a financial situation or sth? We all have problems that is ok. If he did not anything to solve them, then it would be a problem. I would not like laziness at all.

• It depends on the area.
    In NY a car is a liability almost. I've gone on dates there and we either walked (love walking BTW) or took a cab or bus.
    LA has a transit system but I don't use it usually.

I guess I kind of don't understand your question. I mean is the guy struggling his way through grad school, or someone that has a low paying job?

• Interesting point.. yes NYc for sure...

no not a low paying job... making his way through grad school, and saving for a down payment for a house. since a car is not an investment... he just doesn't find it worth it today but he's not broke.. its a educated decision to better his future by no dumping 15000 into something that he can sort of live without at the moment.

• Fine then. He could be attractive.

• Yes, I wouldn't date someone for what they have, or don't have in this case. As long as he treats me well then that is all that matters :)

• yes. few young men in tokyo have cars.

• really? Are you living in Tokyo?

Why is that, is it because its really busy down there? isn't Tokyo filled with a lot of booming business so a many are wealthy and probably have cars no?

• Yeah over there, you tend to meet at Stations.

• parking is reallyyy expensive

• Yeah, sure. As long as he isn't being a lazy bum and sitting on his ass not doing anything to fix the situation.

• Yes of course I would. Having a car does make everything easier, so it should be a goal. But it's not a thing thats important. I should have a car too if I expect him to, and I don't. I'll get one as soon as I can, but I still don't expect him to :)

• no I wouldn't. he needs to work on getting a car first before he tries to date me.

• What if he's not lazy, getting an education just started late... paying old bills from bad habits and saving for a house instead of wasting money on a car, since a car is obviously not an investment.

Simply saying, what if a car is just not on his priority list.

Still no?

• Some people just don't invest on a car first. Some guys doesn't like having to loan just to have a car. SOme guys have expensive cars but doesn't have money on their pockets. Anyways, i don't think not having a car is a big deal, it is the heart and attitude that matters.

• It depends, did he get into a car accident and is planning on getting a new one soon? Or is he living in an area where cars are not necessary? If so then I guess I could do that, if he just doesn't have a car because, then no.

• In my country or public transport system is shit. And cars are affordable. I don't mind if a guy drives a beat up old squeeky car that was one of Henry Ford's prototypes. But I do mind if he doesn't own a car. Not at my age. I probably wouldn't date a guy without a car. I own my own car.

When I was in varsity it didn't matter. The guy I had a crush on took the bus. And I liked him back then. It boils down to the place I'm at in my life. Not the actual material thing.

• yeah why not?

• Yes course i would, i have my own car anyway

• So you'd pick him up? or take the public transportation?

• Thats reallly sweet of you by the way... ITs actually the kinda of girls iv usually encountered

• If a guy has a car and the girl doesnt, he would automatically pick her up, it should be the same the other way around too, if im attracted to a guy i wouldn't judge him just cos he didn't have a car, that would be sooo shallow in my opnion, i have dated guys without a car,

• Probably not, he wouldn't be able to get around much where I live.

• nope. it's inconvienient and I hate buses/trains.

• Yeah totally

• I would , i see no big deal about it
    We can take transport tgt

• I would :)

• Yes I would, I don't have a car either so we would be in the same boat

• Well we both can't be walkin smh

• Yes if its that valuable to you, means you should get a car?

• Yea but if your struggling y get with another person that is struggling? I say go for someone that's doin a little better than u. . . or nah?

• Of course it depends what you value

BUT its about being with someone for them and not what they have. Of course not saying to go for a homeless person. What if a man loves something that doesn't generate cash. Are you going to not be with him for those reasons.

Also its about being there through the ups and downs, together you are strong and all of a sudden when you give him that chance, now you can afford more stuff and live better... but they key is together. Not to abandon a person

• Wouldn't be a problem, I have a car :)

• I currently am, and it's no big deal for now.
    My boyfriend knows how to drive, but hasn't bought a car because he doesn't need one in his everyday life. However, he doesn't expect me to drive him around all the time and offers to drive my car when I'm tired. He's very careful about not taking advantage of it.
    I don't really care if he can't "pick me up" or "drop me off". I don't need someone to drive me around, I like driving and I can do it myself. It's not something I need to feel good in a relationship.
    When we go out, we either take my car or the public transportation system depending on what's more convenient to go where we want to. No fuss needed.

It would become a turn-off if he was constantly pushing towards taking the car to go everywhere, if he always made me pick him up at his place, or if he didn't know how to drive at all.
    It could also become an issue in the future, when kids are involved in our life and such, but for now there's nothing wrong with it.
    It wouldn't make me say no to someone, but depending on the stage of the relationship, the place we live, his attitude about it, it could become a strain on the relationship in the long term.

What Guys Said 5

• It's gonna depend. Like I personally dumped my girlfriend because she wasn't getting a car for 2 years and was going to rely on me doing a whole lot of driving and tolls and just sit there expecting the relationship to work like a handout. She lived 30ish minutes from me and I had to pay a toll every time we went back. There were other problems too like overprotective parents and her living with them so we couldn't stay at her place and her parents were so controlling telling her she couldn't stay at my place. So a 30min drive to see her literally turned into an hour since I'd have to pick her up, drive back to my place, then drive her back home, and drive myself back home. This also made the toll 2 times.

If a girl lived like.. next door and such sure it wouldn't be a big deal.

So I really can't blame a girl for not wanting to date a guy without a car in many situations. It's not like she's looking at a guy who owns a fancy car as a sign of him having a lot of money. In many areas, it just can't work if someone doesn't have a car.

• Nony, let me say this. If a woman isn't willing to be there by your side during your time of need, or isn't willing to put forth 50% of the effort in a relationship. She's really not worth it. Look at the attitude you hear from some women. They sound like typical leeches, that are willing to judge a man merely by whether or not he owns a car. The stories that some of my friends tell me, and through first hand experience really confirms that some women are very shallow and can be used as mere sex objects.

• A leech is someone who uses someone. A leech would be more like a non driving ass guy trying to use a woman for her vehicle. Not a woman with a car who doesn't want to deal with the inconvenience with a guy who doesn't have his. Get over that misconception that "good women" don't care about what a man has. shit by your logic we should be looking for men in soup kitchens and halfway houses, and not care anything about material possessions and money. Instead of expecting a woman to be with you when you dont have your shit together, how about get your shit together THEN worry about a woman

• You are the one who says its cool to use women as sex objects but *I* am hostile toward men? You are projecting your issues with the opposite gender onto me.

• Its cool to use women like you as sex objects, since you view men as walking wallets.

• I was married, had a kid and owned a condo years before i had a car.

But it works quite differently if you are in a built up urban core vs. suburbs or smaller places.

• IF you have an amazing personality, confident and decision maker.
    It doesn't really matter,
    you can decide where to go, how to go somewhere else.
    And she would be more loved to see someone making decisions,
    regardless of not having transportation.

• Holy crap. Anyone who answers no to that is beyond shallow. Yes, I'm judging.