Should I tell women i'm dating that I have Asperger's Syndrome?

is not like they aren't gonna find out anyways after they see how weird i act, talk and behave.

but at the same time, do to how ignorant our society is, and the lack of understanding of AS i feared that they might think having AS is a thing of another world.

Most Helpful Girl

• If someone doesn't understand it, you shouldn't date them anyway. It would be very hard on both of you. My brother has AS, and he's always been open and honest with the people he dates/befriends about it. Good luck

What Girls Said 11

• you should.. if they walk away, they wouldn't have been worth it anyway.

• Absolutely you should tell her. If she doesn't understand, bring some info to her and explain so that she does... It's hard for everyone to be knowledgable about everything, so you can help by spreading awareness. Anyone who knows anything about ASD knows that AS isn't that big of a deal. And if she finds that it is a problem- well, then you can do much better.
    Good luck. And remember that if someone is worth it, they will understand.

• Well, some people will be ignorant to what it is, exactly. So when you tell her, ask her if she has any questions, let her learn a bit more about you. It's could potentially strengthen a budding friendship/ romance. Just be open :)

• I'd tell her.

If I were her, I'd want to know.

If she really likes you she won't care.

• Honey if she loves you she'll love you for you. Tell her. Everything will be okay!

• Yes u should, she will discover it anyway better if u tell her.

• i would want a guy to be honest about himself to me, and him having that is not a deal breaker

• I was in a relationship with a guy with AS for a couple of years. He waited till about 4 dates in to tell me and then it was because it came up naturally. Before I met him I didn't really have a good understanding of what AS was so having the time to get to know him meant any misconceptions I had didn't get in the way. I didn't apply them to him because I already knew him well enough to know what he was like. I get it's important to be open and honest but a lot of people don't really understand AS at first.

• yea and lets not forget that some people who have it dont even know they have it, since its so damn hard to diagnose. i'm 27 right now and i found out i had it when i was 23

• Wait a few dates in. Most people don't want to date somebody with any disability. If you tell somebody on a first date, they've got no reason to go on a second. If you wait a few dates in, you'll still get rid of the shallow ones, but you won't scare people off. Hearing that on a first date could just scare people.

• Well what is that exactly?

• this should explain it better than i would

www.livestrong.com/.../

• Sorry for my ignorance, but I do think you should tell her. It's a part of who you are and most important she should accept you if you guys plan to be serious. Think of the long term, if y'all get into argument, or she starts to question you, she should already know

• yes I have autism as well. you should tell the ones you date everything about the problems you have and why they should not be intimidated by it.

What Guys Said 3

• ya i would be honest about it

• I feel your pain I would be scared to telling a girl I have aspergers out of fear she might think I'm retarded

• i rather be labelled a retard than a psycho. supposedly that f****t adam lanza had AS and a there were a few people at that time who tried to link his action to his AS. but of course they were all proven wrong as they later found out he had other mental disorder besides AS. but then again you know people still love to jump to conclusions

• That's a rather important thing to tell to someone you're into. Better she finds out because you tell her instead of you doing something rude or weird accidentally.