Getting over commitment issues. Is it possible?

I'm 23 and have never had a serious relationship. Honestly, they terrify me. I've dated casually since high school, but once a guy I'm seeing brings up the word girlfriend I freeze up, avoid, and eventually break it off.

Recently I met a great guy and we've really clicked. We've only been seeing each other for a couple months, but lately he's been hinting that that's where we're headed. I've been kind of laughing it off when he does, but I don't think that will last for much longer. I really like him, but the idea of making it official terrifies me. At the same time, this is probably the best relationship I've had and I can actually see this going somewhere.

I told him from the beginning that I have some commitment issues, but I think I played it off as more casual than I probably should have. Any advice on how to get over commitment issues... is it even possible?

Most Helpful Guy

• I think you have heard too many "hurt" stories. truth is.. you can't "Get Over" commitment issues. All you can do is close your eyes/mind, take the plunge, cross your fingers, and hope the pool isn't shallow. also, commitment doesn't start when you get a label, commitment starts on its own, without either party knowing it. you may be more afraid of the label than commitment itself.

What Guys Said 3

• I'm in a similar boat as you. 24 and never had a serious relationship. recently met this really amazing girl who would be worth giving it a shot. But I don't know how she feels cause she's kinda been avoiding me.

Just go for it because he could be really amazing

• Talk to him. And i bealive u are more affraid of the word girlfriend than the actually commitment. Take it slowlly.

• You are doomed. Oh well.

What Girls Said 0