Can men and women really be "just friends" and totally stay that way for the long term?

Do "Platonic Relationships" really work or does one person always end up falling for the other (usually the guy falling for the girl)?

Most Helpful Guy

• I think that it is entirely to stay just friends for any amount of time, but not necessarily best friends.

For those intending to get married happily, the eventual inevitability of a good marriage is that a man's wife meets all his needs in a woman, and a woman's husband meets all her needs in a man. In this case, everyone you meet of the opposite sex is either:

A) The man/woman who iis the only man/woman you will need.

Or

B) Not (A).

If a friend turns out to be (B), you can still stay friends, but in time, when one of you marries, you'll find that you grow apart as your needs of each other change. Indeed, if your needs of each other do "not" change then there may be something wrong with your marriage.

In any case, while its possible to be friends who are just friends, trying to keep exercising that coed friendship after you've already chosen your best friend (and more) for life doesn't seem normal, and most of the healthiest couples I know don't by default.

Also, while it isn't impossible to be close coed friends without developing feelings, I think its hard to say definitively that neither will "ever" develop feelings, except for examples where close friends knew each other from childhood up intil their deathbeds, where it can obviously be proven. I think its not extremely common though.

Sometimes it may be that the two stopped seeing each other at some point in life, and if they didn't they might have developed different emotions towards each other.

What Girls Said 4

• It can, but it hasn't for me I fell for my bestfriend he's a guy, but we aren't dating, because of his mom and he requested we stay close friends for now, but I have fell for one of his friends so we will see

• I have been just friends with a guy since we were in high school. Nothing more I think of him kind of like a brother.

• Yeah, it's possible. I have a big group of best friends and there are 3 guys there. One of them, I met when I was 10 and we're still really good friends. None ever felt anything for the other.

• Yes they sure can.

What Guys Said 1

• Women will likely say yes because they are more likely to friend zone a guy. To the women the guy might as well be her brother. Most guys on the other hand will never think of his female friends like a sister, and would still be willing to have sex with his female friends. So no they can't remain close friends in the long term without one of them developing feelings. That normally will be the guy, which is why women think they are just friends. The women have no idea that the male friend typically has deeper feelings.