Do boxers tend to be aggressive outside of the ring?

So I've been seeing this guy for awhile and he's a boxer. He's very sweet but I've only known him for like 5 minutes. My concern is that are boxers more likely to hit their girlfriends? I hate to generalize but I've had one abusive relationship so of course I'm scared about getting to another one. Violence freaks me out because of my past and that's basically what he does for fun. Am I just being silly and there's no reason for concern?

Most Helpful Guy

• I'm a boxer, and practice mma and ju jitsu, all my aggression comes out when I fight. I'm so calm outside the rings/octagon, my friends call me kool-aid.

What Guys Said 8

• I am a former Boxer and I can tell you if any one screws with us outside of the ring we are very aggressive and will throw down in a drop of a hat and even faster once we retire to relive what we are no longer doing.

• Look at Mike Tyson?

• So you're saying if you got in an argument with your girlfriend you'd beat her up?

• No No It never crossed my mind on females. I was talking about males of the world. And as far as Mike Tyson goes His Anger Issues.

• This is a swing or a miss. Some fighters know how well to draw the line between work and home. And this works for all jobs of course. Its best to have casual interactions over a period of a few weeks to get a better understanding of aforementioned person.

• I believe it's exactly the opposite

• I don't know, if he hear's the bell and you're already swinging at him maybe.
    More than likely, no there's a bunch of people that fight for a living and to be honest I'd suspect that those people have the lowest percentage of domestic abuse by profession. I don't know a lot about psychology but I'd say that men that know what they're capable of have the most respect for people that arn't fighters. It's the beaten down men, who are infact pussies that hit women.

• Depends on the person...

If you're scared then don't date one then or get to know him before dating. Y'know friends before couples?

• I say no... That's all media stereotype stuff in my opinion.

• Yes. I have a lot of testosterone so I smoke weed to chill out or I am wild as hell

• i assume they are

What Girls Said 4

• no. if anything, getting their aggression out in the ring might make them more calm outside of it. just be wary.

• Dated a boxer (person not dog) and he was sweet as could be, to everyone.

• No my experience with dating boxers & being friends with MMA fighters they're sweet normal guys :D

• Being a boxer has nothing to do with it... My step father almost snapped my neck once when I tried to fight him back (He abused me when I was little) because he is a bitch BUT my brother who is a REAL MAN has never laid a hand on me although I have mistreated him to the point of deserving a punch to the face on more than one occasion lol...