Do I tell the guy who likes me about my depression?

I really like this guy and he is interested in me as well. I'm not sure whether it's fair to start dating someone without telling him about my depression. I don't want to make it a big deal but I'm not sure that I should keep it to myself either. What's your take?

Most Helpful Guy

• I wouldn't go out of your way to mention it right away. It wouldn't be bad to say, so its not like you need to keep it a secret. Depression is common enough these days that few men are seriously surprised or turned off by it. I'd just be careful about telling him too soon. A girl once told me within our first week dating that she tried to commit suicide when her last ex-boyfriend stopped talking to her... Needless to say, having that kind of pressure put on me so early on was probably not the ideal way to cover the topic.

As a general rule, I think letting yourself be known gradually is better than trying to pull all the skeletons out of your closet at once. If the topic ever comes up on its own, or something else that will help you segway into it, certainly don't avoid bringing it up. Its not secret, but its not something you necessarily need to rush into telling him. Like I said, its pretty common, so most rational men will assume its a possibility until the topic is directly discussed anyway.

What Guys Said 4

• It doesn't need to be the first thing you say to him but you should tell him because if he does like you he will try to help you through it

• Eventually yes, it's something he needs to know its better to be honest than try to cover these things up and let them become a problem.

• Well you should try to tell it and see any reactions.

• Guys are way more accepting of girls with depression than the other way around. Girls loathe guys with issues and depression means lack of confidence.

Guys want to protect and accept the girl, so she can have significant flaws.

What Girls Said 0