How old is too old, or young?

When you're dating someone. To your own personal belief. So I want to know your opinion!

Most Helpful Girl

• My personal feeling is that if you have feelings for someone and they have feelings for you back and you want to be in a relationship, be in a relationship. No matter how old or young. I look at age like I look at time, just another number to keep us on track from day to day. That's about it! :)

What Guys Said 22

• I am 23 and I try to stick with the two year rule. Two years older or two years younger. That would just be an on the surface screening. If I get to know someone and they are outside of that 21-25 window then maybe I will make exceptions if the feelings are there. Usually the biggest key is that you both are in the same stages in your life and that your future can stay intertwined.

• She was 16 I was 24 (16 is the legal age here so step off your high horse and she was a lot more mature than most 20+ year olds I knew) .

Anyway long story short 5 years of marriage and 2 kids later I think it's safe to say age isn't a problem unless you let it be...or of course if it's illegal or a clear case of a gold digging teen with a 70+ year old millionaire.

Maturity isn't based on a number, My wife is much more mature than me on most things.

• What is and what isn't an acceptable age gap changes as you grow older. When you're a teenager, a 3-4 year age difference can seem like a big deal, and you know what? At that age, it is. But when you get into your 20s what is and what isn't an acceptable age gap starts to increase until, once you hit your mid-late 30s (just an estimate) it stops being an issue completely.

The reason for this is because where you are in life can be a big factor in determing your maturity level, and once you've hit your 30s you've pretty much gone through all of lifes milestones usually, so you're pretty much "there."

• Absolute differences (in years thus) don't have any meaning.

I know two (simple) ways to calculate it:

- If the oldest's age is 15 % higher than the age of the youngest she's too young

-If the oldest has over half the age of the youngest +7 she's too young

Anybody who knows another rule of the thumb?

It all amounts to having the same world of daily life, being in the same period of life in regard to liberties, means, responsibility, experiences, expectancies, degree of knowledge.

If in any of these points there's a big difference they probably will be a bad match because one of the two has too much superiority/power and the relationship will be unbalanced.

• A minor dating an adult, a schoolgirl dating a university student are clearly bad matches.

• Usually my limit for too young is 18. My limit for too old would probably be...26 or so. I've dated between both limits, and its funny how a 25 year old can be more immature than an 18 year old haha.

• as a 17y/o y personal rule is 1 year up 1 year down.

this is because almost every relationship I've seen beyond that has failed. however I do believe that as you get older the gap is different, and can get wider,

honestly anything more than 3 years I think is garrenteed disaster

• i know women that are in their 30s and act as if they were 14, I also know 19year olds that act so mature that one would believe they we in their late 20s. age doesn't justify what a person knows or how mature they are, nor what they have learned in life. a 30 yo woman that has worked in an office since she was 18 may not have the life lessons of a woman that was deployed to a war zone and saw combat. I personally wouldn't date anyone under 18 due to it being the law. but I tend to date maturity, not the age.

• Well right now, I'm really close to a girl whose 16 and a junior in highschool. I'm 15 and a sophmore in high school

• There is a very simple formula for what is "accepted" in society. The formula is

Your Age

------------ + 7

2

So if your 20 the youngest is 17

If your 22 the youngest is 18

If your 40 youngest is 27, that kind of thing.

• I was going to say the same thing. As a addendum to that though if you double the difference between the youngest age and your age you will get your upper age, so a 20-17=3, 3x2=6, 20+6=26, so the 20 year olds age range is 17 to 26.

• Wow, I have never heard that one but its good.

• So, when I am 98 I can date women as young as 54! WOOHOOOO!

• Personally I wouldn't go older than 6 years myself but I would say anything over 10 years is disgusting in my book...13+ is ridiculous...they're technically old enough to be your mom and or dad. Yuck

• half your age plus 7 is the minimum dating age... look it up.

• Well, that's a tricky one, I'm 27 and I'm dating a 17 year old, usually I would consider someone her age WAY too young, but she's already in college, and very mature for her age, plus I look pretty young for mine "I still get asked for ID at bars and stuff", and I'm pretty immature. We have common interests so it's not really that apparent.

• 3-5 years is my limit

• i think as you get older the gap can be larger, it prob shoud be abit larger then this but about 10% of your age in years above or younger I feel is reasonable, so for me I'm 17 so I can go out with an 18/19 year old or 15/16

• for me its probably around a 5 years distance for me

• so I'm 17 I would prob do 1-2 years below and like 1-3 above my age

• 5 down, 2 up

I'm 23

so basically, 18-25

• Preferably around my own age at best.

• well 25 is to old for me to get involved with a girl at any that I am. I would say 18-25 that's the range I will always go for. after 25 it starts to compromise the way I want to live my life.

• I would not want to date a girl more than 3 years younger than me. If she's amazing, I'll let it slide though.

• I like a girl 17 years older than me, and she likes me back. Age isn't my concern it the maturity.

• I'm 21, I'd go for 22 through 47.

I think 19 yo is too young for dating, and anything under 18 feels like pedophilia to me.

sorry girls, but you have yet to grow emotionally, not only your bodies what we need in this life.

thankfully this so-called tradition of younger girl - older man is dying, because men are getting smarter, I swear we're tired of your sh*t and we have suffered enough, and that's our chance to see some happiness in our relationships. And if you want to train and exercise then go try it on boys and wait till you're a woman then date a man, a girl will never ever equal a man, and really, a grown up woman in her 30's, knows what she wants from life and has morality turns me on much more than a teeny-kiddo girl will ever do.

come on vote me down teeny ones, you'll just prove to yourselves that you are the ultimate headache that men ever knew.

• Doesn't maturity matter at all? there are 20year olds that are more mature than 40 year olds.

• Sadly you never know until you go through holy crap with them, some girls seem very stable and great the first moment you meet them, and you might keep thinking that even if they were close friends, but once you bury yourself in a relationship with them (as a guy) you discover what kind of hell you put yourself into, they soon start bitching around and looking for alternatives, playing games and letting you down, but I believe once women hit their 30's (& been thru experiences) can't be like that

What Girls Said 24

• Age is far less important than maturity to me. About a third of maturity is about state of mind- you can have a 22 year old who is mentally quite driven, together and mature. But the other two thirds of it is about life experience- and no amount of mental maturity can compensate for the fact that no 22 year old, however grown up they are in their head, has experienced as much of life as a 32 year old.

Partly, this is about change. As people get older, they get more settled in terms of who they are and where they are going. Someone in their early 20s still has so much of life to experience, that they are bound to change a fair bit in the decade before they turn 30. This is a good thing - people who don't grow, travel, have new experiences in those years are missing a huge and important chunk of life. However, it can create problems for relationships, because one party is changing more than the other, increasing the chances of growing apart. I'm not saying that those relationships can't work - just that it can be difficult.

Also, I think large age gaps can sometimes create different psychological dynamics, and here it's a matter of what you personally want. I've seen older women dating younger guys who have ended up in a kind of 'mothering' role. It might work for some couples, but it certainly wouldn't for me! Equally, I've seen older guys dating younger girls getting very frustrated by their different priorities - someone in their 30s may need to spend evenings working on career stuff, instead of going out all the time, for instance - and that requires a different type of support. Equally, though, I've seen highly toxic relationships between people who are exactly the same age, with one party more powerful and domineering than the other.

My boyfriend is 5 years older than me. The gap isn't a major issue, but it does come up occasionally when we talk about stuff like the music and movies we watched when we were younger. Also, he's more settled in his career and a lot further along than me, which means there's some financial disparity between us. Psychologically, he is quite bossy, while I like to have support and feel like my partner knows what he's doing, so it works, though I think he does sometimes underestimate me (actually, I'm quite looking forward to showing him what I can do in future!). I do worry sometimes that he sees me as young and inexperienced, but I know that he also likes other aspects of that, like the fact that I'm impulsive and energetic.

I know it's a boring, sitting-on-the-fence kind of answer, but honestly, I don't think there are any hard and fast rules.

• Never younger, rarely the same age, and no older than 32. But even that depends.

I just like more mature guys because I find that we have more to talk about and more in common. I like when a guy can think with the head on his shoulders as much as the one a bit further down south. And there's WAY too much drama with guys my age or younger.

"I don't know what I want yet." does not fly well with me. I like someone who does. When you have your sh*t together, it leaves a lot more room for more fun :P

• well you have to follow the law lol in most cases parents don't like not following it, depends on theirs and ur believes, I'm 17 and I know I wouldn't date anyone over 21 rite now, my older sister is 20 so it'd be kinda weird if sum1 I dated cud go out with her too my mum probly wouldn't want me dating nyone older than my sis. and I mite be going out with a 14 soon 2 be 15 year old soon I won't turn 18 til march what do you think of younger guys? lol so I won't date nybody older than 21 and younger than 15 lol

• It all depends on age, maturity level and what you are looking for from the relationship.

I'm 20 and am looking for a serious relationship. I have a friend who is 18 and he has been dropping hints about us starting a relationship, but he doesn't have the maturity level I'm looking for.

I have noticed that most of the guys that I'm interested in are 22/23 - 26/27. I don't think I'd date someone over 30, but it all depends on the people and what they want out of the relationship.

• I don't have any hard and fast rules for age gaps with dating.

I have learn't that over the last couple of years being single. There are obviously limits but up until now I would have never considered anyone under say 25 for myself (I'm 33) and then BAM! I meet a guy who is probably the nicest guy I have ever met and he's 20...and probably the maturest guy I have met in years.

So I have no rules anymore, this guy just blew that theory out of the water!

• Ive dated someone 3 years younger then me, she was 14. And I've dated someone as old as 24. I don't have a age limit. I think if we get along, why not?.

• depends on your preference

i'm 21 so I have just arbitrarily set it at 20-26. so everyone's different.

• I always looked at the two year difference, just to be safe, hoping that the guys would be at the same maturity level as I am, but as I have been going on with my life, age, for me, really is just a number. I never wanted to go for someone younger than me, and I always said that will NEVER happen, but hey, never say never, if I happened to like someone younger, it would probably only be a year younger. I just want to make sure that our maturity levels are close, to exactly the same, that he love me for me, that he isn;t a dead beat and knows how to make me laugh and feel good. Oh and who can always make life exciting and loves God.A guy that can do that, is the guy for me.

• Age is MUCH more than a number: it indicates how long you already lived, how much you may have learned, may have encountered, may have earned, may have conquered, how independent and free you are. How vulnerable you are. Often it indicates how much you still have to learn.

• Thats why I stated that it matters more to me about their maturity. I am 17 now, a guy could be 21 and behave like a 14 year old even though he has had more life experience, whereas there could be a guy aged, 16, 17 or 18, either or, and could be much more mature than the 21 year old. There is obviously a limitation to my age but it isn't the complete deal breaker or maker, it all depends for me on the person.I am not disagreeing with your statement, I would just like you to understand my opinion

• At the moment, I'd rather not date anyone older than eighteen, just because I would think it would get too complicated, but once I'm 18 and in college, I don't really know how high I would go, but I guess I would only go as low as seventeen.

• How does that make sense. You don't wanna date anyone older that 18 but you will only go as low as 17? How old are you?

• Seventeen. I am not a fan of younger guys.

• I always say age is only a number unless they are younger. Some guys not all are so immature so I would only date someone younger if they were around 24, they seem to be a bit more sensible then.

• i always thought 5-6 years older, and I'm 18 so I wouldn't date anyone younger than me. but... the man I'm dating now is 36. so my opinion has changed- really and truly, it all depends on your level of maturity, not so much on age. some people are more mature at 16 than others are at 50. it just depends.

• If you honestly love each other... I don't think age matters...

however I'd limit it to 3-5 years. XD

• personally, I won't date a younger guy, unless they are something really special.. so if you can blow me away - maybe I'll give you a chance. but as for older, and usually I perfer to date guys a year older than me or my age but if the guy is someone I see myself being interested in and really wanting to date I'll go for maybe 2 years, possibly three depending on the guy.

• age is just a number. just look at the number as a number of how experienced he is in life. don't worry about age

• I am 20 right now, lowest is 20, highest 27

• Maximum I would go two years younger or five years older.

• NOt more then 10 years older then me, and not younger then me at all :)

• They should be over 18. But I love much older, 50+ is no problem.

• between the range of 5 years either way but if they are under 20 then that's kinda weird actually if ur under 20 it shud b someone ur own age :]

• for ur age right now no one older than 20

• I think 3 years if ur under 18, and 5-10 years if ur like in ur 30s.

• I'm 22 and won't date anyone younger

30 is my limit

• I believe age is just a number and it depends on both of your maturity levels. =)

• im 27. the youngest would probably be 21. but they have to be very mature. the oldest probably 37.