I found out my boyfriend cheated on me and think I overreacted, I even slapped him. Do you think I did?

My friend told me that she saw my boyfriend kissing another girl at one of his fraternity parties. She said he was drunk and probably didn't know what he was doing. She went to the party on Saturday night and only told me about it at 7 on Sunday night. She is one my sorority sisters and closest friends so I was already a bit upset that she didn't tell me sooner. As soon as she told me about it I got into my car and sped to my boyfriends fraternity house, which is about 4 blocks away from my dorm. I spent my whole car ride there fuming and thinking about what an awful person he was.

So when I finally got there I walked to the house's door and knocked on it. His friend, Anderson, answered the door. Without even saying hi, I asked "Where's John?" and he being himself started laughing and said "God Payton" and then yelled "John come here" and I heard John saying "what is it?" from the living room. When I heard him I walked right past Anderson and stomped into the next room and saw john sitting on a couch with some other guys, he looked over and just said "Hey Payton, wasn't expecting you. Come here" and scooted over as if nothing ever happened and I walked over to him and said "john, please tell why the hell you were hooking up with some random girl last night?"and his face went from a smile to just a look of shock he stood and said"It was nothing, Payton" I was so mad and frustrated that I kind of raised my voice and said "John, who was the girl?"He didn't respond so I asked him again. And then he said"Come on Payton, sweetie, let's calm down."I then yelled "Don't you dare tell me to calm down. I asked who it was?"and he was being completely calm and he said how he didn't remember her name or something. So then I started to cry and he said "Look, I'm really sorry Payton. It won't happen again, okay?"and then he pulled me into a hug. And pushed him away and slapped him and then yelled "Don't ever touch me again!" and left.
Do y'all think that I really did overreact?

I feel like my reaction was trashy and not at all calm or in line.

Most Helpful Guy

• If you have any respect for yourself then you dump him. No second chances or any of that bullshit. Even when you're drunk you still remember the basics, and forgetting you had a girlfriend is not one of them. The fact that he cheated on you shows he doesn't truly care about you, even if he says he does. Think about it, if he really cared about you would he hurt you by hooking up with another girl? Of course not, it doesn't matter that he was drunk he still did it. I've been drunk many times when I had a gf, even when she's not there and I'm out of my mind drunk I don't flirt with other girls, let alone hook up with them.

What Guys Said 7

• Cheating is the ultimate betrayal. Being drunk is no excuse. You're still responsible for your behavior if your drunk. You think the judicial system would let being drunk as an excuse to get off? He deserved it. Dump him

• you should've shot the bastard !!! lol
    no you didn't overreact... shooting him would be but slapping him and dumping him isn't. never give him a second chance cause he won't change, he will do it again. I've been there and I did forgive and forget... such an idiot!!! any ways yea he never loved you. if he did he wouldn't cheat in the first place. you did good.

• The only over-reaction u had, was slapping him.

Keep your hands to yourself. You're lucky he didn't hit you back on reflex!

• No you didn't overreact but please don't be one of those girls that gets back together with him and expects shit to change.

• You didn't need to slap him. That was assault and that's never acceptable, but you had every right to get angry. Lemme guess you're still with him right?

• Fuck that dick

• First of all in his defense, when your drunk you can do some stupid things. And judging by what your friend said, and him not remembering her name you can tell he was really drunk. Also, he was probably acting that calm about it cause he was in front of his bros. I mean we don't like to embarrass ourselves in front of our fraternity brothers...
    But no you didn't over react. I have gotten much, much worse from girls in the past. You acted like any mature girl would so you don't have to worry.

What Girls Said 6

• you shouldn't have slapped him but you didn't over react, he cheated on you and he wasn't even sorry about it happening he was only sorry you caught him out. there's no way he would have admitted this to you himself as you saw the day after he acted like nothing happened.

you should dump him, he will do this again if you stay because he knows if he cheats you'll just forgive him again. you would be dumb to stay with someone who betrayed you and treated you so badly

• You acted in an extremely apropriate manner. Your sorority skills are top notch. Class A Act or as I like to say 100% classy. 100% perfect do not change a thing. At least now he know that you are not a moron and who does he think he is? And he was calm about that sounds like he isn't as smooth as he thinks he is... I'm sure you like him but he sounds really naive of he wasn't expecting your 100% outstanding response.

• I think you did the right think, i would of done the same thing, the fact he was so calm about it and didn't care whatsoever how hurt you were and just stood there especting you to just forget out it is disgusting and very disrespectful, i say dump his ass because what's to say he hasn't done it before and will do it again?

• I mean, hitting anyone is harsh. But I can understand your hurt and frustration. You have every reason to feel that way. Being drunk should not be a valid excuse to hook up with someone, and if it is maybe he's not ready for the commitment of a girl friend. You can apologize for the smack, but figure out if he's even worth the pain of losing trust in a man. If so, work it out, if not move on to someone who you can fully trust when they are drunk or not.

• Hr cheated on you and you over reacted I think not.

• No, just don't get back with him or if you do don't complain when he does the same again.
    Didn't even have a shred of guilt until you told him you knew.