Why does it attract more attention when a white girl dates an Asian guy than when a white guy is dating an Asian girl?

I'm a white girl who's been dating an Asian guy for a little over 10 months. I'm really happy with him and am not in the slightest bothered by racial differences, but my friends and classmates seem shocked when they find out that my boyfriend is Asian. Likewise when we're out shopping or at a restaurant, I can't help but notice that we seem to attract quite a few stares. Am I over-thinking things, or is that mostly negative?

On the flip-side, whenever one of my white guy friends was with an Asian girl, or I see a white guy/Asian girl couple, they don't seem to be treated at all out of place?

Most Helpful Guy

• I'm an Asian guy, I get what you mean. I get these looks dating girls and even hanging with girls outside my race. From my own experience, Asian people like ever other races usually date and befriend people of their race.

The look is from disprove to being amazed, surprised I do date outside my race. Don't mind them, finding someone your happy with is something very special.

• I think a big reason is because Asians suffer the same problem that black girls do. Black girls are the least liked race for females and Asians are the least liked male race. Black girls are usually perceived as masculine and then Asian men are perceived as feminine. It's all just nonsense though.

• Not sure about how black girls are viewed masculine but I do know they are the less desired women

And most Asian men are not Femine, well I'm sure about the USA, most don't seem to dress well, or really party :O many aren't even out going, these are social stigma

I go to raves and barely see Asians but when I do those rare moment I get to see awesome break dances X3

• @gamerartnerd

What Guys Said 3

• Imagine how it was 50 years ago, when a black man would date a white woman. The stares, taunts, sometimes threats. In our time, interracial dating is far more common, but to some, certain combinations aren't as common. And, of course, some people still think it's wrong to date outside your race. That's THEIR problem. Love who you love, be damned what anyone may think.

• its probably cause a lot of Asian guys are seen as inferior physically. we don't have the western standard of " hot" .

• pffft ridiculous. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.. I find Asian guy way sexier than the western ideal.
      oh well, more for me! :P

• Society brainwashed by the media and stereotype that's why.. Their brain can't process of what they were encountering.. As a car salesman. I saw more Asian girls with white guys than Asian guys with white girls XD. yup. It is getting better than back in the day. Too bad Bruce lee got murdered and that was cut off right there for Asian guy with white girl. :D

What Girls Said 4

• Because it isn't commonly seem compared with Whit guy with Asian girl

• it's rare although it shouldn't be.

• be happy other races of guys don't come up and make snide remarks about Asians having small genitalia

• agreed. &yeah, that would be terrible! I'm sure a lot of the younger guys and girls think that though, so when I notice they might be staring a little longer I do some sort of affectionate gesture to my guy just to make a point that aside from such stereotypes, he's still mine. :P

• Asian guys are implicitly viewed as the bottom pit in the dating world. They are not generally physically tall like Europeans are and their facial features aren't 'strong'.

• "Bc guys can take whoever they want. They are guys. You're a girl you should be taken and not by Asian guy. "

Sarcasm. But sickeningly common view.

"Also your supposed to like dominant guys and Asian women ate supposed to like dominant guys and Asians are famine "

Ok I feel sick now. Please just Date whoever you want and tell people to fuck off if they gave nothing better to do than care.

• Sad but I agree with pretty much everything you said. It's crazy considering how far society has come in accepting so many other things, but interracial dating still has quite a ways to come.

Definitely agree with dating whoever I want. It bothers me when others for whatever reason disagree with it, but when I do see some people who are blaringly obvious with their staring/disapproval, I usually make a point of doing something affectionate to my guy just to rub it in. :P