Is the "someone out there for everyone" argument a lie?

Having been single for seven years, I'm beginning to think my ship has sailed. They say be patient, and good things come to those who wait, right? Well, I've waited, been patient, and nothing has happened. I have asked and gotten a grand total of one yes in my life (and not my most recent relationship- I was the one asked in that case). So, you'll forgive me for being a cynic, but I don't see it happening anytime soon. Maybe it's a crap argument that there is somebody out there for all of us. Perhaps some of us are just meant to be single, no matter how hard we try. After a while, you get used to failure. What's the point in even trying anymore?

Hi everybody,

I apologize if I came across as cynical in this post. I've come to realize that at least for right now, I do better alone. If it happens, it happens. But this one came to me kind of suddenly. I'm actually in a decent (not great, but decent) financial situation for somebody my age. Maybe I want to hold onto that for a while.

We'll see what happens. One thing I would like is to be asked rather than the other way around - it tends to work out better that way.

Most Helpful Guy

• Well considering I do not agree with the fate idea I will say yes. But I also believe there are multiple people we could choose. To me it is more of choice.

What Girls Said 1

• yes, it is a lie. some people are too selfish for partnership. some have mental disabilities like autism, which make it difficult to keep a relationship going. some people have mental illnesses.

however, if you are healthy, have a job, and the ability to make small talk, you will be able to get a mate.

• I actually have one of the conditions mentioned in the first part of your post. So, I guess that's it for me, then.

• Have you read the book "Look at Me" my ex-husband had Aspbergers. He never had an interest in working on his social skills so he could be a partner. But there are many people in the discussion of love and dating on the wrongplanet board for www.wrongplanet.net/.../viewforum.php

• I've read it. I know all about the resources, trust me.

What Guys Said 2

• Well you're obviously not "used to failure" because you're still mustering up the energy to complain about it. I think out of all the quotes you're applying to life "good things come to those who wait" is the most bogus. Whoever started propagating that line of shit is a moron.

People aught to know when they need to exercise patience, yes. Sitting around and waiting for good things to come your way isn't how you're going to get places in life.

• I meant it in the same way you meant it. I don't use it, but others have told it to me. It's as if they aren't used to the crap.

• It's definitely bullshit, all of it. There are absolutely no guarantees in this world and reality that there will be someone for them regardless of whether it's relationships or marriages.