Too busy to date: Do you believe this?

It is a popular response to a lack of dating life, but I always get the feeling that the people who say this are lying or not being 100% truthful. I know enough people who can manage their time we'll and who are very successful at school etc while starting or maintaining relationships. I also wonder when these people stop being busy

• I believe
  • I don't believe

Most Helpful Girl

What Girls Said 13

• it could also mean: "seriously my midterms/finals are coming up and i'm drowning in unfinished projects", i have no reason to doubt :P

• That's different. Most people who say that often rain check or set up a date after exams

• Hope it works/worked out!

• i'm not sure what you mean't by that but thanks i guess xD

• It depends. I mean some people really are too busy to date. Some people have work all day and then school or night or vise versa. Life can get kind a hectic.
    On the other hand, some people do use this as a cop out. If they don't like you and you ask them out for drinks or a meal or movie or something, if the person doesn't like you then they will most likely say, "no I'm sorry, it's just that I can't because I'm so busy. I have this and this and that and this to do. And next week I have this and this and that to do. Unfortunately I am just simply to busy. I apologize." when really they may have nothing on their plate or all those things they told you they have to do would only take 10 minutes each.
    So it depends. Unfortunately, most of the time the only person who really knows if they are being truthful or coping out is the person you ask out.

• There are some people that I know who are hard working and that have extremly busy lives. My mom is a great example of this plus a few of my friends are like this

• Depends on the circumstances, my friend works and has children , she always says she is too busy to date. She isn't lying and has plenty of offers from guys. I have said it to a guy before who i wasn't attracted too, just so i didn't hurt his feelings saying no. if someone really wants to date someone, i believe no matter how busy they are, they will sacrifice some time to date.

• If someone was really interested in you then they'll make time. I don't believe it either when people say that

• Nobody is too busy for love!!! >< If they are, they're either a machine or they have a heart made of stone (please send those people to a heart doctor. they need a checkup)

• Not everyone can concentrate on their jobs and a relationship. There is still for dating later on.

• But what will happen then? Will the stop working/retire then look to start dating? Or...

• No but sooner or later they will feel they someone in their lives. Just have patience...

• That's actually a great point which opens up another debate i. e. Opposites vs similarities

• Yes, cause I'm one of those people who are simply too busy :)

• What's on your plate?

Also if the man (or woman?) of your dreams walked in your life tomorrow you'd tell them the same thing?

• well school, work, sports, friends, ... well I don't believe in the man of my dreams, like I don't believe in wishing upon stars :p. There are plenty of guys out there and I'm still young so :)

• Maybe just doesn't wanna date you or doesn't want to get distracted by someone who will be long gone in a few months

• No. If I wanted someone and was super busy and not delusional and they agreed id see them once a month if we had to. No such thing As too busy. Just wrong person.

• its an excuse you make time if you want to date

• I agree to some, but I think true love is more about both comprising. For example say a guy is madly in love with you or a girl, but you have no idea. Is it fair to be mad at the person if they are unaware of it. True love for me is if we get on. There are no fairy tails of the guy coming to get the girl and if they do exist the guy just runs away leaving the girl broken hearted. True love doesn't exsit so Ii guess you have a point there. I will take weirdness any day.

• Guess I don't believe in true love any more. Just being happy is all I want. If someone truly loves you they would least be with you.

• I don't because either they're too shallow or they are too immature.

• Honestly, i know I say that to make myself feel better. I don't know how to go about dating. despite working and going to school I do feel I'd have some time to date if anyone did give me a chance. But I also know that my time with a person would be limited and done guys don't like that

What Guys Said 11

• I believe they sometimes believe it.

It's laughable to me. Being married with kids you have far less time for your relationship then you did when you were younger and in school.

• Its possible to manage school and a relationship.

Try asking someone with graduate school, a full time career, an extra part-time job, and volunteer-based weekend responsibilities. ;)

You're correct that its an overused excuse, but whether or not they are impossible, relationships are significantly less plausible for people like I described.

• Some of the most successful people in the world have families and many of them started young. But about average Joes and Josephine here. I agree with the last para though!

• I'd say that having a family is a measure of success in and of itself, but assuming wealth wasn't inherited by good birth, the most successful people are the ones who work hard early so they can spend time as they choose later down the line.

Some lives have wealth and leisure time overall, but get there by being overly busy at an earlier phase. Anyhow, this is all semantics.

• that's true because i belong to this category as well :-P

Datong consumes me too much time, for listening to music/playing video-games :-PPP

• I have heard this far too many times from girls I've dated, that they just don't have time because of other commitments to go on more dates.

I interpret that as 'I don't think you're worth the time yet, not compared to my axe throwing class anyway.'

I tread with caution because I wonder if they really were so busy, what will happen if things go great? Will she resent having to give up her book club and kung fu lessons to spend more time with me?

• 0|0
  • I honestly don't think I'm mature enough to date someone. I'm still a kid, and once i think I'm no longer a kid, I'll probably stick my neck out a little more.

• Strange enough I seem to do fine and picking girls at a bar but when it comes to avoiding the bar and asking girls in actual dating, I take it as a rejection when they say shit like this and move on whether they actually like me back or not.

• It's an excuse.

I remember a girl rejected me with the "I'm too busy" comment and then a few months later she was in a relationship.

What she meant was "I'm not going to date you, ever". :')

• It is true, I've been there. I legitimate felt that I was too busy and had too many unfinished business to care of. Not fair to get a girl attached into my mess.

• It's easily possible. I don't even make eye contact with girls who aren't 8+ double triple threats.

• I work, I'm dedicated to hitting the gym 5 days a week for an hour or more each day, I have various other personal things I like doing (especially around the weekend, when dates are more likely to happen).

So on top of liking the freedom to do what I please when I please, you don't believe that I don't feel the urge to go out, talk to umpteen amount of women, keep doing that until I find the one who will give me the time of day/I say the right things, week in and week out? Basically, "the dating game" is a drag to me and I have my time filled with things I actually want to do and don't feel like a bore or chore.

I had a relationship before when I was in school and also worked full time, and I spent a ton of time with her. Yes, I wanted to spend that time with her and it was enjoyable. But I also like the way my life is now as well. So I've experienced both sides of the fence, and I happen to like this current side more than the other :)

• It doesn't sound like you are too busy to date, but rather that you enjoy being single. Ain't nothing wrong with that