Are the majority of single people, single because there is something wrong with them?

It seems like everyone that is single either have social anxiety, trust issues, or some other major problem. I am beginning to think that most dating advice should involve self improvement as oppose to how to play a mind game with the other gender. I was wondering what others thought.

• Most single people just haven't found the right person yet.
  • Most single people just need to play the game better.
  • Most single people need to work on themselves, to overcome personal mental or emotional issues.
  • Most single people need to work on being more physically attractive.
  • Other. Leave a comment.

Most Helpful Girl

• i think its A and C together

and yes i agree with you
    most dating advice is like "here is how to control their mind!"
    i mean yea its good to learn about the opposite gender but you also need to work on yourself as well

What Girls Said 13

• I'm single because i choose to be single until i can love myself.
    I'm single till i can trust men again.
    I'm single because I'm not ready to allow myself to love another person.

of course, there's always a reason y someone is single. not sure if saying 'something is wrong with them' is the best wording, but there's always a reason.

• just as i thought, you are just bananas lol...(had to say that lol hadn't seen you in a while, had to start with a tease)
      but this is on point. a point based on past. Im kind of on the same thing, but seeing it spelled out like this makes me ask myself something.
      Am i choosing to stay single because of the past and trust issues, or are my trust issues the reason why i choose to stay single?
      they sound kind of similar.. but they aren't. one of them isn't really a choice, its a reaction.

• i think i know myself better than you would. @tdieseler

• alright... if you say so.

• I think it is a combination of A and C however you could add the fact that some people have false expectations about relationships and the opposite sex too. Like they think a relationship or sex is supposed to be like what they see in p*rn or Disney movies.

and then also there are people out there who just dont want to be in a comitted relatinship at all and only prefer casual dating or even no dating.

• I am single, and of course I have developed trust issues over the years, who hasn't but that does not mean there is something wrong with me or I can't find someone. I choose to be single. Being single gives me a sense of freedom and I love it. Of course I like being in a relationship but I am not going to jump into a relationship with just any guy. I know what i want from someone and what I deserve and until I feel like someone is potentially going to give that to me I will stay single. I am not going to waste anybodies time just like I don't want them to waste mine. Just because I'm single does not mean I'm alone and depressed and have issues, it just means that I have a clear picture of what I want and am not willing to settle for less.

• I'm single because I dislike relationships. They make me anxious.

• I feel like this definitely depends on the person, haha. With some people, it legitimately is just an issue of timing and waiting for it to happen, though with others, it really is up to them taking control and doing some self-care, whether it be with an emotional or physical issue.

• Hell no. Sure it takes us shy people longer because we're not outgoing enough to go up to every guy we find interesting. But there's nothing wrong with being shy & actually I prefer shy people. They're cute & good listeners normally. But anyways, it took me 23 years to find the right guy. I thought I'd end up alone, but really I just had to go through all those jerks to find my other half.

• I dont know about MOST single people but I know the older you get you realize that getting involved requires a significant amount of work you may not have the patience for

• I've never dated mostly cuz I'm full of my self and all the guys I met are assholes
    I just get anxious around guys cuz of my dad- long story

• It was a mix of all of what you stated I guess for me.

• Other: different people different reason. I am single by choice

• I just don't have time for a relationship.

• Maybe when they're your age Ya...

• There needs to be All Of The Above option

What Guys Said 11

• I feel the need to point out that there are plenty of people in God awful relationships because there is something 'wrong' with them. Being single is not failure and being in a relationship is not success.

You do raise a very interesting point regarding self improvement over mind games. Personally I'd be inclined to make that a personal motto and stick it up all over the site.

Wrt your question, it entirely depends on the person. Some have something wrong with them, some are happy single and some are 'between relationships ' (if that makes sense).

• sometimes it's because they need to figure their shit out (more oftenly said people seem to be the ones unable to keep their SO), but most of the time i think it's just because it's not THAT important for them, or they simply aren't the kind of person to date everyone and their dog.

• I think it depends on the age group. Seemingly, today, 20 to 35 love to play their games. Usually by 35 you're in some kind of committed relationship or married. If not, there's probably some issues. I say "probably" because perhaps their Dad actually spent the time to educate them on not settling down until they find the right one OR they are too busy chasing their own dreams (whatever they are). Personally, when someone tells me (at 40) that they've been married three times it sets off all kinds of alarms. By 45, for most folks, you've finally figured out what the woman YOU REALLY DESIRE is. A lot of people make the mistake of just staying trapped and miserable (i. e. for the kids). Others have the guts to start over and take that chance that they will actually find 'the one'. I was married once, for 25 years, I was miserable and decided to take the leap of faith. As fate would have it, I found her just as the divorce was finalizing. Unfortunately, I wasn't emotionally ready (I was trying to settle my mind and un-do all the heartache, etc.) and I let her go. I have faith there is someone out there for me but sometimes I wish she'd show up NOW. Patience and NOT (just) SETTLING is key. Find the right one and to do that you need to be mature and have a very clear 'list' in you mind of what/who she is. If she doesn't show up (for me), I know in my heart I am still happier than I was living in misery. I believe I answered your question. Good luck!

• I was "c". Worked on myself and in a good place with myself.

• I was single for 6 years. Why? I had a lot of unfinished business, a lot of baggage. I never felt like I needed a girl to "fill the void". I just needed to complete my mission. It's like in those movies, where the guy devotes his entire life to finding the person responsible for killing his wife. It was sort of like that for me (no killing involved). I had a list of things I had to take care of before I could move on.

• i'm single because i place my freedom above everything

• I'm 5'5 and missing a toe, I like to place the blame entirely on those two flaws.

• so you would have voted for option C
      my fiance is 5'5, he is not missing a toe though. but its not like you have to constantly show your feet to people when dating. I have only seen my fiance's feet a few times because he is just weird about his feet and always wears socks and shoes even when he is just relaxing at home. He rarely takes his socks off in sex unless its right after a shower.

I mean I have streatch marks and I wasn't whipping that out to every guy I dated. So you can defiitely meet a woman who can not give a shit about your missing toe if I can meet a man who doesn't care about streatch marks.

• He's 5'5? That's inspiring. Thank you for sharing, but I was just kidding about the missing toe thing lol. I usually add some humor to my posts, but its not always as obvious to people as I seem to think.

• I am single because I needed healing time after my past relationship.

• I am single, because I am physically not attractive, so yeah..

• I'm single because I'm weird and not too attractive... also, I'm socially awkward, so even if I was more attractive, I'd still need to figure out how to approach people.

• I'm single but I choose to be and my main pro still have no job so I avoid serious realitionship not intrested in a night n bed