If you are dating a girl, does that mean you are 'exclusive'?

I am 18 and I have liked this girl for a while and I asked her on a date about 6 weeks ago. We have been on 6 or 7 dates since. Yesterday I saw her on a date with another guy and I confronted her and she didn't even try and deny it she just said that we weren't exclusive. What the hell does that even mean? If we've been talking and going on dates doesn't that mean that we are together?

What does exclusive mean? I don't really have all that much experience with girls, actually I've never been in a relationship before, but is this normal? Am I supposed to make it clear that I don't want her seeing anyone else? Isn't that implied? Am I being an idiot here?

• Yes, if you are dating a girl it doesn't mean that you are exclusive.
  • No, if you are dating a girl, monogamy is implied.

Most Helpful Girl

• It should be implied exclusively but unfortunately not every girl is like that. Personally for me, I only date one at a time. It's the only way to give it an honest chance. But many people who date have the "play the field" mentality. Just find another girl who feels the same way you do. They are out there.

What Girls Said 5

• You can date without being exclusive. Exclusivity does not come until you both talk about not seeing other people. But until that talk happens either is free to see other people if they choose.

• I am an UPFRONT serial dater who doesn't believe in monogamy.
    Men either roll with it or they don't.
    Either way, Im not changing.

• No you're not being an idiot. She made a bad choice probably because you guys haven't had a talk about being exclusive. However I will say this. If she really liked you, she wouldn't be seeing other guys.

• I didn't vote bt nothing is ever implied never assume been there done that if you want a realtionship ask her to be your gf. Since you never asked she has assumed in her head ok i can date others still bc I can't wait around all day gotta keep my options open men do this a lot too. Personally I hate the idea of dating multiple people at once im old fashioned I like and talk to one guy I like only bt times have changed. Technically she is not wrong bc she is right your not exclusive meaning official. Bt even so it leaves a bad taste in your mouth bc u have now seen it with your eyes it comes off like she/ he is a player. people say all the time its ok to date other people until they actually findout about the person. Im sure she would have felt the same way if she saw u with another girl. anyways I say if u still like her ask her out bt I personally would not she sounds kind of inconsiderate to just say it like that in public bt hopefully u will know better next time hope this helps :)

• Unless you aske her, and become boyfriend and girlfriend, you are not exclusive

What Guys Said 4

• if you're dating a girl then it means just that, you're dating her. if you're dating her exclusively then it means just that, you two are exclusively dating. define it bruh.

• Exclusivity in dating means that you agree not to see others in a romantic way. In my culture dating someone doesn't necessarily mean you're exclusive. Exclusivity requires a different understanding. Yes, you have to make that clear.

• I choose the wrong option, I pressed B instead of A.

Dating is dating and exclusivity is exclusivity. A person who is only dating another person is more than entitled to see other people as they are single and are well within their right to do so.

It's considered good manners for someone who is multi-dating to inform their dates that they are multi-dating but they are not obliged to do so.

• You had to make it known between you two. Dating is seeing people. But the way you wrote it, made it sound like she's a real dick. she's just testing the waters honestly. If you want still want her to be exclusive with you then bring it up. If she says anything close to no or maybe, then look the other way cuz chasing her will just make it worse after that.