I'm really not interested in one of my boyfriend's hobbies, how do I avoid hurting his feelings?

He's really into paintball, and it honestly just scares the crap out of me. He REALLY wants me to go playing with his friends, but I really don't want to! I bruise like a freaking banana and I've seen the bruises and welts left on him after he plays. I'm a TERRIBLE shot and it will actually just be really embarrassing. I don't wanna get hurt, and I don't wanna shoot other people. I'm a pacifist and this just sounds like an incredibly bad time.

Do I have to suck it up and go? Or is there a nice way I can get out of this? I don't make him go to my college's fashion shows or do any of my other non-boyfriend-friendly hobbies. :( Help!

Most Helpful Guy

• Don't worry about it too much, I used to go climbing and my girlfriend at the time didn't want to do it because she was scared of heights! I was a bit disappointed, mostly because I enjoyed it and I wanted to share it with her. Also, to me it was fun and I wanted her to have fun too. The fact that she wouldn't enjoy it as much as I did (in fact she'd have been terrified lol) meant I just looked for other stuff for us both to do, my feelings weren't hurt.

What Guys Said 5

• If you do not want to take part in paintball, then do not do it.
    I would tell your boyfriend to grow up. If he wants to play soldier he should join the National Guard.
    If he has a problem with your desire to not participate in paintball, then it is time to get a new boyfriend.
    I would also suggest that you get over the pacifist thing and learn to shoot a real weapon, then buy one and keep it handy. When a couple of 300 pound black men break into your house in the middle of the night, who are you going to call? Mr Colt, who is in your bedside table, or the police who are at least 15 minutes away. Which of those two options is going to keep you alive and/or not raped?

• Okay my boyfriend is a marine actually and paintballing is a hobby of his.

• Also by pacifist I mean I don't want to hurt other people for literally no reason. If a man came into my house to rape and murder me, I wouldn't have a problem emptying my.45 into him. Paintballing just sounds like a bad time, that's all.

• you dont have to do it just tell him its really not your thing. but if he really insists then tell him none of them are allowed to shoot you but you can shoot them lol.

• I'd like to think if you take a few minutes, sit down, & be serious & explain to him what you just told us that he will take you serious & understand & not make you do something you aren't comfortable doing.

Personally if I had a girlfriend that sat down & explained something then I would take notice & understand. Hopefully he will too.

• It's okay not to share or have everything in common with your boyfriend. He should understand that if you told him you weren't into it.

• Tell him everything you just told us

What Girls Said 1

• by doing your own thing. Just tell him that its good there is something he likes but its not your cup of tea, just tell him that , Kind of how you wouldn't drag him to yoga class