Talking to someone online vs. real life?

Because most of us are avid users of this site, and everyone nowadays is more hooked on communicating through social media than ever I wanna know, have you ever talked to a guy or girl you were interested in online and wondered if it would've been better if you met them in real life instead?

****also, do you think flirting/communicating with someone through text/social media is a better way of starting a possible relationship/flirtationship than in real life?

Most Helpful Guy

• I don't think its a better way necessarily but its easier in my opinion, and yea its true that on college campuses and other places most people are busy or on their phones, makes it a little harder to approach a random girl.

• That's true, being in college also and just being around our age level a lot of people are just busy or on the go, and online communication is just easier sometimes I guess lol

What Guys Said 16

• I much prefer real life. I really hate it when I go out with my friends and once we go to eat and sit down at our table it fucking falls silent and everyone is on their phone. I prefer everything real life, in person.

• yes, most of the time I 'meet' anyone interesting I wonder how I could meet them in real life. I don't try to do that on this site since it's not a dating site.. I've never met even one person here face to face unless I knew them BEFORE they were on Gag...

But yes, I do sometimes wish I had met them at the coffee shop I frequent, or wish they were the towel girl at the gym, and so forth.

• Yeah I feel like I would prefer meeting that special guy in person, because meeting them in a coffee shop or anywhere where they're out and about makes for a good story later on if you guys ever turn out to be serious.

• Right, I'd be embarrassed to tell the grandkids that we 'met' online, like trolls.

• EXACTLY! lol

• i prefer online communication basically because i don't have to stop the music. LOL

it's better to talk with 100 random strangers without stopping the music, than talk to someone i know face 2 face WITHOUT music

And no i'mnot shy or introverted or silly stuff like that, i just live with music ;-)

• can't beat real life. Some people are interesting online, but so is anyone hiding behind a screen. Also, via social media, people use a lot of fillers that kill conversations. You can't use most fillers in real life.

• I always enjoy face to face communication more then online communication. When I'm myself and comfortable around people I could talk for quite a few hours about anything. It's part of the reason I love my job as a front desk worker at my town gym/senior center I get to chat withs of people I've regularly chatter with them for well over an hour about stuff. And I've grown close with many of the people there.

• The experience of meeting someone in real life will never be replaced for the experience of meeting someone online. Unfortunately meeting someone online haves a lot of limitations and meeting someone in real life can turn out to be awkward, not that it can´t happen if it´s online, the difference is that in real life there is no click to go far away from that person that annoy you somehow.

• I think people in general have a better chance at talking with each other online because it's not really rushed. You have time to think before you speak and also you don't get rejected right away due to physical appearance

• real life is highly preferred. at least you know what you are getting.

I am very good at face to face verbal and non verbal communication, but in texting I suck very bad, as I can't assess their non verbal communication (body language). more than 50 % communication is non verbal.

So in online, we use less than 50% of our communication skills.

• Yes, in real life is best. But sometimes you have to do what you have to do.

• To first question answer would be no. To second one, I think real life is better as you can find out more about that person from his movements, reactions, actions.

• I prefer talking to someone in person because I can express who I am to them much easier than over the internet.

• Real life. The Internet can be cool, but it doesn't measure up to real, live company. You can at least hold a face to face conversation versus keyboard to keyboard.

• Oh yeah I have been talking to girls online and was wondering how it would be to meet them in real life and some I even have met

• Well i like to kick things off online and end up in real

• I actually like flirting and communicating online and through social media but the real thing is better in my opinion and always will be. Good question sweet eyed girl :P

• lol sweet eyed girl now where have I heard that before? jks

• lol no that was the first, but i've been told other things yes lol...

• See it's nice to know it's true :)

• I am not a man concerned with the medium. Those of low caliber will reveal regardless.

• i mean eventually yeah people will eventually reveal themselves but even through the internet? People can probably cover their tracks better when you don't see them don't you think?

• Most people are not smart enough to make the effort. Most people are not interested enough to make the effort either. Keep in mind that just as you mean nothing to them they mean nothing to you; anonymity brings out honesty more often than not and often far, far quicker.

What Girls Said 5

• When I talk to people online there's a limit to how much I can feel for them. I can't really see them as real people, so I've never had an online crush, or even a desire to meet any of them.
    One one hand, it's a bit easier for people to get to know me through text because in person there's a bit more pressure and it takes a while for me to be comfortable enough to let my personality show. Online there's zero pressure because this person only exists as a picture and a bunch of typed out words.
    On the other hand though, there are certain things that are missing with online relationships that keep me from getting attached or forming any kind of real bond with the person. Like I said, to me they're just a picture and a bunch of typed out words. Hence why online dating doesn't work for me, and why, like I said, I've never had an online crush. Yeah, there have been people I find attractive, but that doesn't equal crush. There are attractive people everywhere, and there's so much more to being attracted to a person on a crush level than just seeing their picture and talking to them via text. Sooooooo much more.
    So yeah, I hope some of that makes sense haha

• I agree! you never really see them as people, you just have a construction or an ideal about how they could be in your mind. That's so true!

• I personally prefer interacting with someone in real life but there's definitely nothing wrong with doing so on the internet too. You just have to take that extra step in being cautious.

• yeah i'm definitely not saying it's wrong, because it can sometimes be easier to communicate with people online, but yeah you're right!

• I play an online game with a community of people from school. I met this guy on the game and decided to talk to him in real life because he was high ranked and had an interesting personality. We're six months now. :)

• Both, personally because talking through texting is like a start to get to know the person and then when you meet in person it either expands in to a relationship or you never see the person again! And even then when it turns into a relationship you still text each other and meet so :)

• I randomly started chatting anonymously to a guy once (not a datingsite) that I was a bit interested in, but it's much better and easier to meet someone in real life I think :) My sister met her long term boyfriend on the internet though and he's awesome, so I guess it's different for everyone :)

• yeah I guess it all depends! And I definitely think it's MUCH better to talk to someone in real life, but you think it's also easier in person than online? that's interesting!

• Yes I think it's easier to talk and get to know someone in person than to have to write everything on chat :)