Why do almost everyone ask questions about looks and not their personality?

The personality is the most important thing, so why do so many people ask questions like "I don't look bad, but still I've never had a boyfriend/girlfriend?". Maybe we should think more about our personality traits and not so much about our looks. Anyone who agrees with me?

• I agree
  • I disagree

Most Helpful Girl

• That is VERY true! Not many wants to date a mean person who happens to look really good.

What Guys Said 6

• I've seen opposite things. Like the "rate me" questions are mainly just for opinions. However looks do matter and I have seen people claiming they don't and that is really misleading. It makes it hard for people to figure out where they struggle if their looks do really hold them back. Many people claim the personality of everything but any unattractive person knows no matter how great of a personality they have, without some degree of attractiveness in their appearance they are stuck.

• Looks are the first thing other people see, and are what gets your personality's foot in the door. It's also far, far harder to get your personality across over the internet. Even if you write lucid prose, you might come across very differently in reality. Consider how many people make embittered "no girls like me" posts but insist that in reality they aren't such a downer.

• I read more questions on "are looks more important on personality?" Or "I have a good personality, but don't look that great. I can't get a date. Help! "
    Than I do questions about looks.

Anyways I do agree that we shouldn't prize looks as highly as we do. But they still matter and should be up there. I don't want to date someone I'm not sexually attracted to and there is absolutely nothing wrong with that. I shouldn't have to date someone just because she's "nice"

• Because people aren't typically concerned with their personality as much

• I agree. The thing is, most people can't "see" personality by just looking at a person.

• I agree, but only because I am physically not attractive. >.>
    I understand that people are fixated on looks, it's just natural. We always judge by the looks of a person first. Not only when it comes to relationships, but in every day life.

What Girls Said 4

• I agree with you BUT just because personality is more important, doesn't mean looks aren't important. Looks are your initial attraction to the person, and their personality is what keeps you to them. And I wish some girls would stop saying "looks don't matter at all, it's only personality", cuz guess what cupcake? Maybe that applies to you, but most humans want a partner that they're at least a little attracted to. Then you have all these "nice" guys crying that women are liars, and no one will date him even though he's really nice but ugly. That's like a chubby chaser telling all women "It doesn't matter if you become obese, I prefer them." Guess what? Although there are a growing number of chubby chasers, there's still not that many.

Also, there are questions girls posting about their personalities. And you know why they're jack shit? Cuz a. we don't know if they're lying. And b. they only list the good, and not the bad personality traits.

Would you honestly date a person with this personality, without looking at them, without knowing them as a whole?:
    -Artistic
    -Charismatic
    -Good speaking skills
    -Smart
    -A good leader

Sounds awesome right? Well that's fucking Hitler. You just agreed to a date with Hitler.
    Anyone can sound like the best person in the world if they only list their positive traits. And that's what they'd do. The good and bad thing about personality, is that it isn't visible to the world. I can't look at you and say "what a good personality". So you can list all the good qualities, but I'd have to get to know you to verify them.
    Wtf does this have to do with your question? Well, assessing looks is much easier. I can lie to you and say "I have blonde hair and fair skin and big boobs, but I'm single. WHY?" And then you see my picture, That's the opposite of me. It's easier to assess if someone's lying about looks (at first glance) than personality.

So unless they also list all the bad things, it's worth jack shit asking personality.

• Well it all starts with physical attraction. If that is missing, then a great compatibility between the 2 will just lead to a beautiful friendship :)

Once there's attraction, then you start to date in order to find out more about the other person's character

• I agree 100%!

• I agree with the fact that personality is more important than looks. However, how exactly would you want to assess it over the internet? If you post a picture, it is easy for others to say whether or not they find you attractive. It is not as easy with personality in my opinion. It's not like you can say "I'm nice and funny, will you date me?"

• Yes I agree with you, but it's not only over the internet. It's in real life too