Why do guys say they have an average body type on dating sites when they don't?

I feel like a lot of guys on dating sites say they have an average body type but when you look at the pictures, they are definitively in the thin or fat category.

While I don't have an issue with their actual body type, why do they still insist on calling themselves average?

Do they actually think its average?
Are they lying to get more views?

I know damn well this wouldn't fly if a woman did it, so why do guys do it?

since i'm straight i can't actually see women's profiles. but I feel like guys would be super pissed when they do it, but women would just sorta ignore it when guys do it

Most Helpful Guy

• It depends on whoever's standards I suppose. I have seen girls out "average" as their body type and would think "who are they fooling?" because they are clearly fat. I notice online dating is full of overweight people. I honestly got tired of meeting girls off of it because if they didn't look fat it was because they were using misleading photos or outdated ones.

if you are in the US like I am, unfortunately you'll have to think "average American."

What Guys Said 12

• Everybody lies a little bit to market themselves better. This is true during interviews, in everyday life, and on online dating sites.

I think it's pretty normal haha

• it makes me immediately not like they for not being honest though
      I think they're only hurting themselves by lying

• fair assessment. I completely understand what you're coming from

• Women do it, and it doesn't fly.

The lazy answer is that Average is the default setting, and they haven't bothered paying attention when filling out their profile.

The more truthful answer is THEY aren't truthful, either wilfully or through denial. You've probably seen how 'curvy' has been co-opted. Curvy girls on dating sites tend to be fat. Someone with 'a little extra' has about 150lbs extra.

Careful use of camera angles and headshots to hide that extra set of chins; it's a damned minefield and I have adopted a policy of not bothering unless there is a bodyshot to go with it.

• lol 150 pounds extra and they call it a little extra? really? shouldn't they pick the bbw option then? (but yeah i can see the whole curvy thing meaning fat. I actually think it means fat.
      Personally I always fill out a little extra because I'm 10 pounds overweight. I think "curvy" is bs.

and you can use camera angles to fix bodies too, fyi

laziness i can see. That i didn't even think of.

• You can indeed use careful camerawork to conceal your non-averageness but it shouldn't be like this!

Your honesty is commendable, but in the grand scheme of things (especially on a dating site), 10lbs is nothing.

• Women do it too. You often can't tell in pictures though.
    Also sometimes the options are limited too average, skinny and large.. It's almost like slim or anything else between is missing.

• i've yet to run into one that limits your options that much

• To be fair the average American is overweight:

This what he looks like:
    i.huffpost.com/.../o-USA-BODY-900.jpg?1

i.huffpost.com/.../o-USA-BODY-900.jpg

• When people think average though, I think its generally assumed to be considered a healthy weight, not the actual average of all americans which is overweight.

• Isn't that average?

• not really no... and when they give you so many options why pick average when a different option fits you better

• ... And that may be the, as you noted, fact that te average person is overweight.

The average American woman is 11" shorter than me an outweighs me, at least when I'm in shape. That's... Special. And that's -average- Not even above average.

• Correct on pear vs apple with all men being apples. And pears can often get away with being a little over.

I feel like I go directly from skinny to fat with no stops in between :/

Happier at skinny. But yeah.

• Women do this all the time. They say 'fit' because they go to gym even though theyre chunky. They say 'average' when they are clearly overweight.

• why every one's worst quality is perfectionist?

• Well, I think a larger percentage of people consider themselves average by comparison. They see people skinnier, fatter, more toned, less toned. So by comparison they feel average. Not the best, not the worst.

• Because who views a person should profile if it says body type: fat/overweight/a little baggage? No one.

• And fat girls use Curvy, or girls with no muscle use athletic.

• women do it too lol

• Well that's average lol. Most people are not in good looking shape

• well then they need to pick extra pounds or heavy or whatever the nice "fat" option is
      when people say average weight they mean healthy weight not average for our above average weight country

What Girls Said 4

• Kinda seems silly to answer about your body type at all when there's a picture of you there.

• i know right?
      I just don't get it.
      I'm going to see your picture. I'm going to see you're lying. I'm not going to talk to you. I'm not going to respond to your messages. If you had just put down your honest larger size I would have.

• isn't it better to say something unfavorable and have the person be surprised?

• I mean... I guess so, but that doesn't solve the problem that the definitions of this shit varies A LOT from person to person.

• It sounds better. I don't think anyone would voluntarily call themselves "fat" online and hope to find a chick. Hahaha.

• well what is your opinion of average. Like those models you see on the underwear adds

• I see this too. I met two men who were really, really skinny in person while they're profile said "average". I think they're in denial or just know that whatever they put might be a set back. I personally put "overweight" or "full figured" plus a body shot on my profile because I know men will be pissed about this sort of thing.

• i know right? I'm always honest, why aren't the guys?