Is it bad that I don't want a boyfriend at age 17?

I'm 17 years old I've dated in the past but right now I'm not interested in being in a relationship. Not because I've had my heart broken or anything like that, I just haven't met anyone I actually like. All my friends have boyfriends and think I should get one my mom also thinks I should get one. She keeps talking about me dating but last time we talked about it I told her I didn't want a boyfriend and she responded by saying "well it would do you good if you had one" I don't understand what she meant by that or why it's such a big deal that I'm not dating anyone. Is it bad I'm not looking for a boyfriend? Should I start looking for someone?

Most Helpful Girl

• Your mom gives terrible advice. You are doing just fine. If you don't know anyone that you really like, then don't date anyone. Do NOT ever date someone just to say you're in a relationship. Wait to find someone you really like who also cares about you.

What Guys Said 4

• Nothing wrong with that, I refuse to date exclusively. That doesn't mean I don't date though, I still go out, watch movies, hangout at houses, etc. I just let it be known that I do it for fun and socialization more than relationships.

In my mind, dating exclusively is a waste if you don't plan on making the relationship last. Else, why bother? That said, if I wouldn't consider marrying a person, I wouldn't date them long term either.

• its the best idea you can have! lol you are young focus on yourself and when you feel like you want a relationship go for it. don't date a guy because you have to, date one because you want to!

• No, why rush?

• No, it is fine.

What Girls Said 4

• Hell no! I had a boyfriend at 17 and took a long break after that. It's smart actually: sorry to the teen boys who may get offended, but young boys don't have much to offer you anyway - not that teen girls do either actually. It's better to focus on yourself, your life, and your studies - oh, as well as your future. All the power to you, girlie.

• what
    No, not at all

You're still basically a fetus

• No you don't need one. I'm pretty much the same as you, not feeling like you should settle for someone you don't actually like. There is nothing wrong wth being independent.

• I'm 19 & I don't want to date. I've dated in the past, yes, but where I'm at in my life right now? Nah