Is depression unnattractive?

I have recently been diagnosed with depression. I've had depression since I was 10 and I'm now almost 15. I'm alternative and I listen to punk, indie , emo, hipster and pop-punk. I can't say I'm not popular with guys but when they find out about my past and my depression they just stop liking me and instead they start rumours or treat me like crap. I just wanted to know if my depression is stopping me from getting a boyfriend and being liked by anyone. Thanks. :)

Just so you know, I act very happy when in company and I don't talk about my feelings much. XD

Most Helpful Guy

• Well, being depressed will not help you in the attraction department. It's not really a positive and nice state of being to have or be around. It's very energy consuming for everyone involved. Some people will be very repelled by such because they can't handle all that. Some people will feel pity or empathy and try to help you but it will not really create attraction. But the smallest percentage might see you as a bird with broken wings they need to save. The biggest majority will most likely see you as strange an odd simply because the can't relate to you.

I had depression myself probably from around the age 17 to 23ish. It's possible to get through it and live a normal and happy life. It takes courage and strength to be able to enter the total darkness and void within and find the light and make it grow.

Don't identify yourself with your depression even if you've been "diagnosed" that. Your personality is simply what you now have become, it's not who you will be forever. Depression is what you think, not what you are. It's possible to change everything about yourself.

What Guys Said 8

• Depends on how bad it is. If she's really depressed, like so much that it would hurt the relationship, then I wouldn't want to be in a relationship with her until she got better. Okay with being friends though. I would say it's really only unattractive when it's severe.

• If you let it get to you and wear it out in public it shows on your face and the people your hanging out with will get depressed as well. Yes after a while depression is unnattractive

• Confident is attractive, happy is attractive, depression can be overcome.

• Honestly speaking it is... if you don't feel good about yourself how will others like you?

• That's true but I always act really happy around most people around me so I don't get why they don't like me. I mean, at least I'm not always moaning about shit.

• Acting happy or being happy are two different things.

• It can but then teens arebhardly themost enlightened of people.

• Yes, depression is unattractive. Who wants to be around people who make them feel bad about life?

• Depression is a turn off that I personally can't get over. That's where I'm at.

• if you're a guy, yea

What Girls Said 5

• I had depression as a teen it shouldn't stop you from attracting and being with people you wan to be with, maybe people who can't understand but they aren't good for you anyway. But do make sure you make healthy choices and look out for yourself i know depression can make that harder but you'll be thankful in the future. Avoid bad people that spread rumors there are good guys who will appreciate you.

• I am sorry to hear that. I used to suffer from depression too when I was younger from age 12 - 17. I also was an "emo/punk" girl back in the day. Guys didn't approach me either, they would walk the other way. For me it was a not so awesome time in my life but I learned to love myself and not care what others think most of the time. A guy should like you for YOU, the guys that said bad things and treated you bad can go suck it! I hope you find your happiness soon :D

• I dont think it is but boys in our generation are goof balls and don't care about other people that much but I kinda know what you mean just ignore them

• Yep. I should know. I've been depressed for a while now and it's been getting rough because it's wearing down on my friends. So @Asker most guys in Jr High-high school are just plain weird. Give them time and give yourself time. I hope things get better!

• And just like @nert73 said see we have the experience too your nit alone but you will find someone trust me on that

• My "crazy-darkness" forever attracts high profile bad boys which I luuurve.

• Yes because you should love yourself and not drag other people down. I hate people who try to show off they have depression too. I get it and they need to get help.

• Read the update and I don't show off. I genuinely wanted the answer to this question. Thanks for trying to help anyway.

• It just matters what kind of boys you want to like you. If they don't and make fun of you, you should't want them to be a part of your life anyway. They only reason I said I hate people who try to show off they have depression is because one of my old friends did that and we aren't friends anymore. She's "popular" and I'm just a face in the crowd. Sorry if I offended you there.