Dating a guy with depression: should you end it?

Hi ! I met a guy who has severe depression. Thing is when we first met, he was off his meds, cause he was feeling better. Our dates were amazing, we truly connected. And then he told me about the depression and that he was back on his meds. Slowly, he became different, more distant and has no libido anymore. It's like we had one month that was amazing and now it's more like I'm dating a friend. I tried to understand it but I didn't even have time to completly fall in love with him. I know he is someone very special to me, but don't know is I should end this. I actually freaked out, twice already telling him we should face reality. But then we would go back together like nothing happened. I'm super weak with him, cause the whole situation is unfair to both him and I. Did you ever experience it? Thanks for the advices.

I just wanted to say thank you for your advices and for those who shared their experiences. I still have no idea what I am going to do, but I realize that this happens to many people and makes me feel less isolated and lost in a way. So thank you.

Most Helpful Guy

• This is an odd human function that has gone down in history. What your guy might have is manic-depression. Manic-depression happens in periods of time. In the manic state, the person will be very social, funny, and welcoming. They also tend to be creative. This is one reason why people like Isaac Newton, Ludwig von Beethoven, Vincent Van Gough and Charles Darwin were manic-depressives. When it comes to depression, the person will think of life as not worth living, will hate themselves, or other things. If you are willing to live with this neural disorder, then your time with your manic boyfriend will be great.

What Guys Said 2

• Don't just leave him for no really good reason, if would just crush him totally.
    Speaking as someone living with depression I can say that the best thing you can do is to bring the light into is life by being happy and trying your best to push him to do more things, he will most likely not be that happy about it at the start, but that's only the depression talking, all that he needs is to have something positive in his life so he can make that his positive thing as well.

• It is very emotionally draining. Increasing as time passes. Better let go.

What Girls Said 2

• I had an ex where he was always down on himself. He thought he was worthless and his life meant nothing. I kept trying to change his mind, but nothing worked. It made me sad to see I wasn't enough to change his mind. To change him. Sometimes they are just to far for you to reach. Like you try everything, but everything isn't enough. They dug themselves in a deep hole and sometimes its up to them to dig themselves out. I can't say my experience was the same, but it was pretty close. We had a great time for awhile and then everything just crashed down on us. It physically drained me. I was starting to get affected. I had more stress, and I lost friends because I spent all my time making him feel better. My energy was just drained. If this starts happening to you then get out of the relationship. Not only are your saving yourself, but also each other from getting more deeper into the relationship. I would try to get him off his meds if he's willing to because that could be the side effect. It didn't stat until he took his pills again. So at least you have a chance to be with him and try to keep him. But if it doesn't work then it would be time to move on and be happy with your life. I wish best of luck :)

• I've never gone out or been with a guy who was currently dealing with depression, but I did go out with a guy who once dealt with it due to personal matters. It's okay for you to be there for him and to support him as much as he will let you, but NEVER feel the need to fight his battles for him. It's not worth doing that to yourself.