Do you really need to have a common interest with your bf/gf?

Do you think it's necessary to have something in common with your bf/gf for the relationship to work?

Most Helpful Guy

• As long as you both love each other , you can learn to talorate each other's interest. It's possible, it's wroth finding a BF/GF that have a few things in common.

What Girls Said 37

• Exploring each others differences and passions can be fun. I don't think it's necessary to have a common interest with a bf/gf. Although it definitely helps form a bond between you two. Doesn't mean it can't work out.

The best thing you can do is take an interest in their interests and make sure they do the same for you. Maybe you can introduce her to stuff she's never known before and she will become interested. It's possible to develop common interests over time.

One of the most important things in a relationship is to move towards the relationship and not away from it. Too many people are in a relationship with someone, but still have a foot out the door, just in case.

They take their partner for granted, and don't take the relationship seriously. If you want it to work out, then you have to put effort in. Doesn't mean you need to marry her tomorrow. But if down the road you want to still be with her after some time, work is needed to keep it going.

There are plenty of people with lots in common who don't work out because one person's in the relationship and the other is not. So if you both are in the relationship, you at least have it better than a lot of other's out there.

• I agree with this. It isn't necessarily necessary for the relationship to work out, but it does help link you two together better. With my man, our common interests in psychology and sociology was one of the first things I noticed and I thought/think it was awesome that we share that. If you two don't share common interests, getting to know each other's interests and learning about them can be a lot of fun and will benefit the both of you. You two get a better understanding of each other and why they are interested in what they are interested in. You get to see their "spark". I also agree that you should move toward the relationship, but don’t rush it. Is this person someone you’d like to spend your future with? If so, then make sure you are moving towards the relationship with them and not away. But with that being said, don’t rush anything. Because one day you can feel a crush towards her and the next not have any feelings for her, but you may already be in a relationship with her.

• So that’d kinda suck for one or both of you. Just take time to make sure they are really what you want and don’t rush things. Also, think before doing because it may not be the right time for the next step in a relationship yet. If it isn’t, you don’t want to take that step because things could get messier and not end well. I don’t think there is such thing as too slow necessarily, but there is such thing as too fast.
      I also agree with the fact that you shouldn’t take each other for granted. You really have no idea what you have until it is almost taken away or it is taken away. So don’t take any time you have with the other person for granted.

• Yes. Thats all i'm gonna say lol.

• i could care less about all his car crap. but when he has car meets he goes, sometimes i stay sometimes i go. he could care less about my social life. but sometimes he comes and sometimes he stays. but we do like to watch anime together :) its not a passion for either one of us by far. but its something we both get excited for and he'll pause to wait for me to come back or won't watch a particular release until we are both able to sit together and watch it. :) maybe it doesn't sound like much, but its ONE of the many small things that all add up

• People will tell you it won't work and if you keep that thought in your mind it probably won't work. Everyone has heard opposites attract, they attract but they have a tough time staying together afterwards. Once you realize your differences just make a conscious effort to embrace one another's interests. If she likes sports and you like books then you should try a sport and she should read your favorite book or something like that. Fill in the gap and create the common ground you previously lacked. Being with someone different from you is never going to be easy because in a lot of ways they won't understand you fully but in the end it's way more rewarding. You get someone who can bring out traits within you that you never knew you had in the first place! Work at it and you won't regret it.

• I don't think it's necessary in order for the relationship to work. You both could try new things or accept your differences.

• Different and similar interests are very necessary for long term, if you plan on living a life time with someone and have nothing in common (granted this common thing could be simply he loves to ride snow mobiles and you enjoy being the passenger. Or she loves to drive and see new places and you like car rides) but a bond that goes deeper than the physical is necessary. It is also important to have your own hobbies and friends (unless you're a couple that enjoys 24/7 togetherness) I believe separation makes the heart grow fonder but to muxh separation makes the heart a little fonder of someone else. Most couples grow apart because they do not communicating and have financial issues, money is hard to avoid but communication comes from time spent together and the best communication comes from time spent doing stuff mutually enjoyed.

• Every relationship that is working has a common interest, even if small. if you're talking about hobbies that's more refined and it's important to respect the hobbies of another if it's not necessarily your interest. You should have common interests on some level.. Sexual desires & foods/restaurants are a couple examples. If you don't share a common interest in the bedroom there poses a problem.

• Not so much interests or hobbies etc but similar values and qualites are important. won't work if both people have totally different standards within the relationship

• It depends on what you want out of your relationship.
    I think it is healthy to be with one where you might have a few common interests and some you don't, so you can learn from one another and have some interests for yourself or with others.

• No, it would definetely be a plus for conversations and sometimes dating, but if you love each other, just go for it! Sometimes it might even be better if you had opposite interests with your bf/gf since you can help each other with things they may not understand. Imagine if you are two pieces of a puzzle. No two pieces are the same, but it is the bond between the puzzles that keep them together.

• I don't think so as long as your contradicting wishes of how you want to live your life doesn't drive you apart. For example, 2 people may be perfect but one may want to live in the Australian outback for the rest of their life but the other does not, so naturally they would go on in their different paths in life. (this is an extreme example)

• my bf and i are pretty different. i'm a scientist and he's a cop. he loves the tv and the news. i hate the tv/news. but we both like food, talking, drinking, bike riding, exploring, etc. i wouldn't say we have common interests, but we do things together that we enjoy. if you're not enjoying the time you spend with that person, then what's the point?

• Yes there has to be at least one connection you guys can agree on or your not going to have much to talk about since nothing of what they do captures your interest

• Have u ever heard of "two opposite attract" i guess over time you'll find something at least one thing you both like

• Yes, a shared interest would make us close.

• You need to have something in common with your partner to enjoy a lasting relationship. Maybe that commonality is that you enjoy exploring the unknown and the vast difference between the two of you is what drew the two of you together. Short of that I don't see how a 'nothing in common' relationship can work.

• Yes, similar personalities and similar interests.

• personally i don't think so. it's boring to be with someone who likes the same thing as you. it's not necessary in a relationship, though one common interest might be good to spend some time together

• It's easier to find things to do you both enjoy but its not a deal breaker, in my opinion. You love the person for who they are not what interest they have.

• Yes, something we like to do together.

• you don`t have to have common interest with your Bf/Gf sometimes opposite attract but having the same interest can bring you closer to each other

• Not Really Because Being Different Makes Them Know Your Unique & You Two Show Your Different Preference ☺️

• No not really me and my boyfriend are entirely opposites and we been together 10 years so far and we're happily in love

• Yes if u have the same interests it's best tbh like my bf and I are in bands and love the same music and I love that he likes what I like

• Nope, don't think I had anything in common with each other, but it worked really well :)

• I think it's important but not exactly a necessity, relationships can survive without this.

• I dont think it is necessary, but my BF seperates with me because of nothing in common.

• I would like something t talk about with him.

• we can be different. but he should respect my hobby.

• If you have nothing in common, you won't enjoy being around each other as much is needed for the relationship to work.

We met over a common interest, and now I've gained so much by opening myself to his hobbies and interests. We each have portions of our life that are just for us as individuals, but we still share stories. I think it's just as important to keep something that is just for you, something that you don't do with anyone else. It's important to maintain your own identity, lest either of you ever forget why you fell for one another.

He's in a local metal band, and there is no way I could sing like that! LOL So that's his thing, and he has guy time at practice, and then I just go to the shows. I make wire sculptures and I sell them in a gallery. I have lots of connections and contacts from the gallery who often group and meet up for crafting sessions, so that's my thing. But we both do art, and we both are really into music and singing, so there are common topics we can discuss.

• More from Girls
    7

What Guys Said 31

• That's what I'd like to find out.

The girls I have dated haven't had much in common with me. I can't tell if that was a part of why we broke up, or if it was because they weren't dating material.

A part of me would like to find a woman with whom I have a lot in common, but there are few women in my area who would fit that.

But, I have a huge crush on a girl who I think doesn't have much in common with me. That concerns me a little because I don't know whther I'm being "picky" or if I'm really just looking out for my future

I'm having a LOT of trouble finding anyone with ANY of my interests, but I'm tired of being single for SO long, and I really don't want to shut down the possibility of dating someone just because they're not my current "ideal" as far as interests go.

• Something, yeah. It doesn't have to be a big consuming thing. It can just be that you like going to the movies together or you are both football fans and like watching your team play or anything. The most important is that you arecomfortable and accepting of each other and can communicate. Oh and sexual compatibility is pretty important for most people. If you haven't figured out the sexual compatibility you aren't ready for a relationship.

Sorry, no apologies to the "virgin until marriage" believers. I think it's a recipe for unhappiness.

• If you either really love each other OR you both find each other really fucking hot then I suppose? Worked for me (the we're both attractive part AND we did love each other.) so in my opinion yes?

• I always thought that it wouldn't work out if you didn't have common interests... I mean in my mind that's the only way I would find them is doing something I enjoy. So it would have to be at the gym, pool or the airport otherwise I am shit out of luck

• I honestly think that if you have a common interest with your partner, then you can become closer. You can talk about this common interest, or perhaps do it together (eg. If the common interest is bowling, go bowling together!). It is also easier to get along with your partner if you both agree on something. Thanks for asking!

• I say yes you do. Since you two will be spending time together and investing into each other... you should have SOMETHING in common to do together! :-D

• No, you do not but if its different and interest that will be great so both of you can learn from each other. but if something common and boring.. useless

• Some common interests sure, that could be anything from hiking to tumbling in hay stacks. But this thing about couples doing everything together's fucked up. You definitely need time to yourself every now and again or a separate group of friends that you can unload and bitch about your S. O to.

• obviously otherwise the soup would get cold soon i believe

• I don't think so. Pretty much every girl I've ever liked has been pretty close to my polar opposite. I think you need some polarity in your relationship for it to work out. Keep things interesting, you know?

• Yes, I do. At least one thing in common you must have.

• Common hobbies? No, I don't think so. But, it helps.

• I would prefer if she at least had some basic respect for what I liked at least. I mean if she thought all guys that play videogames and like anime are losers then its not really gonna work out xD

• It certainly helps to have common interests but its not must have.

• No, it's not. It helps.

• They are extremely helpful, but are not a necessary prerequisite to a romantic relationship. It may not, however, survive without common interests, so I'd suggest trying to find and build some together.

• After you two decided to having a relationship, you should do things together. Even if you don't have one before, you should find some.

• Honestly no, but it is needed if you want to have an easy time bonding quickly.

• Of course it is!

• As long as you both find the same things interesting funny same view of life. I personally enjoying watching the football with my mates and she likes shopping with hers.

• Um yeah if you want it to work out better and naturally then yeah i would.

• Yes I think so

• It does help, however a few differences is good, it allows for some variety in conversation.

• yes because it makes the relationship stronger

• Yeah something should be in common otherwise there would not be any intersting topic to talk about.

• Or personality

• They say opposites attract, so I dont really think so.

• no me and my girl share totally different interests nevertheless we love each other so much

• yes because other wise its just a mindless relationship

• Not really, but it just makes general chitchat very easy.

Me and my girlfriend both like shooting, basketball, and even have a little fetish for golden showers, lol.

It just makes the bond better.

• More from Guys
    1