How important is physical attraction?

there's this guy I've been on a couple dates with. I really like him as a person, but he's not the fittest guy around. he's got a little bit of what some might call a beer belly. he's really not that big, I would probably say he's 6'2" and 200 pounds. But I'm a swimmer so I'm used to seeing extremely fit guys in speedos. he's mentioned that he's going to start working out, but I'm just worried that if I'm not extremely physically attracted to him now, if this relationship continues it won't work out.

Basically, I really like this guy as a person, and I'm not not physically attracted to him. I've just seen hotter guys. I just want to know if this could really work out.

Most Helpful Girl

• We all want to say "looks don't matter", and that's what a lot of people already say, but deep down we all know that looks DO matter - to some extent. I mean, despite how nice, funny, etc. he is, imagine having to see an ugly person's face everyday...
    That doesn't mean that looks/body are the most important things about a guy. There are so many other things that are more important. The first guy I ever REALLY liked wasn't attractive at all (to me), but I fell in love with his personality, humor, talent, intelligence, etc. and then his appearance didn't mean anything anymore.

My point is, personally, as long as I can stand to look at him everyday it's okay if he's not the best looking guy.

What Guys Said 4

• physical attraction is definitely important. Its the basis for a relationship. If you're not physically attracted then that's called a platonic friendship.

• But can the attraction grow?

• personality attraction can grow, but unless a person doesn't shave and shower, they aren't going to get less ugly. Any relationship with any kind of longevity has to have mutual physical as well as emotional attraction. Both are equally important.

• Only you can answer this question.

• Physical attraction is important regardless that many women refuse to admit it

• I know men and women can both be shallow, if I keep seeing him, will my attraction to him physically become stronger?

• I think it is possible. Some people have said they have become attracted to someone physically because they have gotten used to seeing them so much but I am not sure if would happen to you for sure but it could happen.

• You first see some one that's physical attraction, then you are attracted to their personality. So yes.

• So are you saying It will work out because I'm attracted to their personality, and semi physically attracted to them?

What Girls Said 1

• Taking care of your body and looks are important to me for both parties. You should want to look good for your partner and I understand what your saying. Give him a chance, go to the gym with him and let him see how much you love it. Can't help but get addicted when you start going and seeing results so maybe it will work out. Just encourage him and let him know how good he's looking a week or two after he starts