Ladies did he break up with you because you're too Independent? Men if a woman says, what do I need a man for, is that a turn off?

Independence is great—to a point. Call it ego, male insecurity, whatever you like. There's no getting around the fact that we need to feel that we're in this for more than just sex (yeah, I know... sounds weird coming from a guy). If you keep telling a man (and showing him, too) that you can do everything on your own, then what do you need him for? As shallow as it may sound, we do have to have our ego fed just a bit (maybe some guys more than others, but I think you get the idea).

• I'm a woman who got dumped for this reason
  • Im a man who dumped a girl for this reason
  • I'm a man and it doesn't matter to me
  • I'm a woman who tells her man, you dont need him for anything

Most Helpful Girl

• I am strong, independent, and able to live my life without a man in it. That's just the plain and simple truth and if I'm honest, that's the kind of person I want to be. I never want to be the kind of woman who feels she can't be single- that tends to lead you to some bad relationships because you grab the first guy who comes along.

That's not to say that if I'm dating someone my life isn't better for having them in it or that I don't come to rely on them for being there to share things with, get support from, and generally go through life with. I most certainly do. I lean on my friends, family, and the guy I'm dating when I need to and I count on them for making the good moments in life better. I would also never tell a guy I didn't need him- that seems rude and hurtful for no real reason. Any guy I date becomes an important part of my life.

But I'm happy to know I'll always be able to survive on my own two feet...

What Girls Said 2

• My boyfriend knows I don't need him. He knows I WANT him. I make a choice to include him in my life. I ask him to do things for me that I could do myself because I know he likes doing them for me. I am fully capable of existing without him, but life is much more enjoyable when he is in it.

• I make my own money and I don't need a man I just want one. I just act like I need him because guys like that, but when you do they still call you clingy. Can never win with y'all...

• I am extremely independent which means I can take care of myself but I'd rather be with someone. I technically don't need a man for anything but I want a man for sex and partnership. I'd take care of his ego I like making my man feel good about himself, but I'd obviously want to feel the illusion of him needing me as well, makes you feel more secure.

What Guys Said 2

• I don't consider an independent woman a turn off but a turn on. I don't want to conform to outdated traditional gender roles in the 21st century. I want a woman that earns her own money and who wants to be with me rather than feels she needs to be with me. I want a woman who is not glued to my hip and can go off, mingle with friends and who isn't at my ankles like a Jack Russell.

• I agree. These bitchy radfems who say they don't need a man need to just stop dating. Then we wouldn't have so many guys turning into misogynists.

• I believe at some point we do need to feel wanted. I think to openly tell your man this openly may be emasculating to a degree, because its obvious a woman can do for herself, just as a woman, but it just don't need to be said, there is no point, unless one is provoked.

• Men do like to feel needed. And yeah, bitches who tell this to men usually aren't independent at all, most of the time they are on food stamps or welfare, or they work for some other man. Just because you're a cashier at Walmart or whatever doesn't make you independent. Even having a nice cushy office job that pays very well doesn't really make you independent. To be honest we all depend on someone else unless you are a billionaire doomsday prepper living in some bomb shelter with a lifetime supply of food. If you go to the grocery store to get your food, you depend on farmers, over night stockers, truck drivers, etc. Women don't seem to get the big picture, they think all their luxuries such as toilet paper and canned food just come out of nowhere. They never stop to think about the farmers, lumberjacks, assembly line workers, engineers, truck drivers, etc. who make all that possible.