What do women mean when they reject you but say, "I know you'd make a great husband"?

So I've dated around in the past and I've had probably five or so occasions where the girl I'm flirting with or dating tells me something along the lines of, "I'm sorry, I can't date you, but you'd make a great husband someday." Are husband-like qualities something that is unappealing? Or are they just being 'nice' by trying to compliment when they reject me?

Most Helpful Guy

• I have actually been told this. From what I gather the girls are still into a "bad boy" or a "party" guy. They are looking for someone to let loose with and have some fun and excitement. They want someone to be on the wild side, maybe a tad irresponsible. Some guys give of the impression to some women they are not fun because they are responsible gentlemen who can't give them the time of their life. Some women look at guys to give them fun, other guys to give them a family. So she looks at you as someone she could settle down with, marry and have a family with, but not someone she wants to date right now. It could be her way of trying to compliment and reject you at the same time without trying to hurt your feelings. Either way I always found that comment insulting like I wasn't hot or fun enough.

What Girls Said 3

• When I would use that, I would mean that he's a great guy, but I don't feel anything towards him and I don't want to be mean while rejecting him.
    Some of us say we want a nice guy, though we don't fall for them (still: can't blame us, we don't choose whom we fall for, if we would, it would make life SO much easier). I would think that they mean you're a great guy, just not a great guy for them.

• Saying something bad first to hopefully balance it out with a positive.. "they are just being nice"

(E. g. i'm not interested in you, but you will make a good boyfriend) bad thing first, good thing last, so your left with a positive outlook.

• Maybe she's being nice and try to say it so you won't feel the pain so much. Also, maybe she has problems? Or she likes you but doesn't like you to be her bf. Or she doesn't like you but you have the traits of a good husband. Well, those are my opinions ;)

What Guys Said 1

• I think it is they are being nice in rejecting you, but i also think that they are telling you the truth. In a way they are saying "You are a nice guy and the kind of guy i want to be with when i am ready to settle, but right now i want to play."

In a way it is a compliment, but it also tells you that you may be pursuing the wrong kind of girl for you. Hang in there my friend... you will find the right one.