What is a good amount of weight for ankle weights for someone is a beginner in using them?

I don't want something too light, that it won't have to much effect on my legs, but I still want something that can challenge me, but I won't be struggling to even move in?

What do you guys think?

What Guys Said 2

• As much as you can do, since there is no specific value here. It is dependent on how fit and strong you are and how much effort you are willing to commit into training regardless of your level.

What I will say though is that 2.5lb weights are essentially pointless to the point that you might as well not bother. The increase in difficulty is no minor it will be unnoticeable without taxing your cardiovascular system or muscular system any more than running without ankle weights. Just run your hardest up a hill and walk back down, then repeat. So much more beneficial!

But if you insist on using ankle weights I suggest you start at 7.5-15lbs. It's really not heavy, your legs are your strongest muscle group theoretically women could do 30lbs fairly easily. When i want to beef my legs up before summer I put 25lb weights on each leg and run on the incline setting of the treadmill for 30 second sprints. Burns a tonne of calories and sculpts your calfs and quads like no other...

• 2.5 lbs if you are just staring.

What Girls Said 0