Would you (guys) ever date a girl who.. is the following?

Would you date a girl who is depressed and has an eating disorder? Would it be annoying to see her upset and not eat and refuse treatment? anything like this? (this is a very weird question but it is for my psychiatric teacher and I'm studying the treatment for eating disorders.)

Most Helpful Guy

What Guys Said 7

• Yeah, that'd be frustrating because I'd want her to be healthy (mentally and physically) so she can start feeling good again. I would always want to make her happy but I wouldn't be able to handle being the sole thing that's keeping her happy.

• Honestly, no I probably wouldn't. If she has an eating disorder, and refuses to get treatment, that means she's not even wanting to change. And since it's clear she has a problem, I would think she'd want to change.

I cannot care for someone who doesn't care enough to care for themselves.

• I totally understand and what I'm about to say, please don't take personal. What you said is understanding, but for someone who has experience two years (so far) with an eating disorder, I can't just "eat" or "care for myself". An eating disorder is a mental illness that isn't a choice. Sorry if this is personal or anything :)

• I guess we're just different types of individuals. More people are probably more like you, but I am who I am. I just cannot be with someone who doesn't love themselves enough to work at fixing what I consider a serious problem.

I'm just more of a hard-ass.

• i understand and yes, maybe we are.

• It would be hard. I would hope that by accepting her should would learn to accept herself.

• No, I wouldn't. I don't need that sort of complication in my life.

• Complication?

• Yes, depression and eating disorders are complications, and I'd rather not have to deal with that. Hope you get better

• Thank you :) I was a little confused haha

• It's pretty painful because when you love someone you feel their pain, you don't abandon them though. I've dated a girl with depression before but not an eating disorder. I could see past both these things.

• I have before. It's not annoying, it's more scary for us really. If you care about someone, then you want the best for them. And it makes it difficult for us when you refuse treatment. It hurts us, too. It's not annoying.

• I would date someone who was depressed only on the condition that me dating her would make her happy
    as for the disorder I don't like stubbornness and it would be annoying

What Girls Said 1

• I hope so. I've been struggling with my ED for close to five years, my boyfriend of three years has never wavered in his unconditional love and support. It's honestly helped a lot.

• I'm sorry to hear that. But I'm happy he's made you happier. I've struggled (still do everyday) with anorexia-ednos (more ednos tendencies) but this is why I am studying eating disorders and treatments and to help other girls (and boys). I'm doing a project based on if a girl with an eating disorder feels better emotionally or mentally when they are in a relationship, you know? I'm sorry again. :( Please get better.

• Mines EDNOS as well, though it's more on the Ana side :/ thank you, it's hard. I don't think anyone really understands until they've experienced it

• Exactly. I couldn't agree more!!