Does music taste affect a relationship?

If you're really into a certain type of music and the other person is in love with a music type you despise, is that a deal breaker?

• metal
  • rap
  • pop
  • latin
  • other

Most Helpful Guy

• in my opinion yes because the type of music someone listens to is a reflection of the type of person they are and it is a usually a tell tale of their thoughts/beliefs/attitudes/behaviors... we don't have multiple lifetimes to go and figure out multiple people so you have to make a call on what the person is currently projecting about them self (aka snap judgment) and music is a huge indicator.

What Guys Said 8

• it shouldn't be, it actually should be a good thing, being introduced to new music is one of the best things. if you don't like the type of music they like you aren't forced to listen, but making it clear that you aren't into it is important too, so they're considerate to not blasted while you are around them. all in all it doesn't matter in my opinion

• No it's not a deal breaker so long they don't expect me to listen to what they listen to.

That said I'll listen to just about anything. Country and heavy metal are the only things I for sure don't like.

My favorite music genres are:

Art Pop

Hip Hop/Rap

R&B

Ambient

Alt. Rock

Classic Rock

Classical

Soft Rock

Electronic

EDM

• Not even original Hank Williams?

• True country to me is blues/gospel influenced, and usually only has 2/3 instruments (not counting vocals). It kind of stopped in the late 60s early 70s, although there is a lot of "outlaw country" that I think is great.

Try this Hank on for size:
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xnKOVPXhlnE

• @JackKerouac77 That's nice. It does sound similar to gospel/blues.

• i despise modern r'n'b/pop... and those new bands who brand themselves as "rock"... BLEEEEHHHHH

• I like it all but if say she didn't like my taste in classic LL or sir mixalot, I might have to leave her ass.

• Well it becomes highly attractive if you like the same music/like exploring music together

• Not in the slightest lol

• probably we would just have a mutual agreement of not listening to music out loud if we don't like each others music nor taking the other to a concert/rave/opra/performance.

• Depends, I like electronic music, but I can tolerate some other genres (although - not all of them).

What Girls Said 4

• I'll be honest. I can't stand country music. So it would be a deal breaker to me if a guy made me listen to it whether it be in the car or somewhere else. If I can avoid his taste in country music then I think it would be ok. :P

• My wife doesn't let me play country on the radio as she doesn't like it. I like most types of music though. My daughter became a huge fan of it at college which is funny.

• I'd tend to believe it would only be a deal breaker if your partner is really pretentious, but I will admit it legit pisses me off when people deny pop punk as a music genre. Not sure I could live with that.

• If it affect the relationship, then they (the couple) need to grow up,

• It's not a deal breaker but it could be very annoying. That's where headphones come in handy.